Recently Published Articles
- Buczkowski, B.J., 2007, Archival policies and managing physical collections for the U.S. Geological Survey’s Coastal and Marine Geology Program [abs.]: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 39, no. 6, p. 293 [URL http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2007AM/finalprogram/abstract_128600.htm].
- Chaytor, J.D., Twichell, D.C., ten Brink, U.S., Buczkowski, B.J., and Andrews, B., 2007, Revisiting submarine mass movements along the U.S. Atlantic continental margin; implications for tsunami hazards, in Lykousis, V., Sakellariou, D., and Locat, J., eds., Submarine mass movements and their consequences: Dordrecht, The Netherlands, Springer, p. 395-403.
- Dadisman, S.V., Flocks, J.G., Williams, S.J., Reid, J., Calderon, K., and Paskevich, V., 2007, LASED and usSEABED data management and analysis tools to assist mapping coastal change of the Gulf Coast [abs]: NOAA Coastal Services Center, Coastal GeoTools Conference, Myrtle Beach, S.C., p. 59 [URL http://www.csc.noaa.gov/geotools/proceedings.htm].
- Denny, J.F., Schwab, W.C., Twichell, D.C., O’Brien, T.F., Danforth, W.W., Foster, D.S., Bergeron, E., Worley, C.R., Irwin, B.J., Butman, B., Valentine, P.C., Baldwin, W.E., Morton, R.A., Thieler, E.R., Nichols, D.R., and Andrews, B.D., 2007, USGS advances in integrated, high-resolution sea-floor mapping; inner continental shelf to estuaries, in Kraus, Nicholas, and Rosati, Julie, eds., Coastal Sediments ‘07: American Society of Civil Engineers International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes, 6th, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings, p. 1837-1850 [URL https://www.asce.org/bookstore/book.cfm?book=7322].
- Goodbred, S.L., Leiker, T.J., Patiño, R., Jenkins, J.A., Denslow, N.D., Orsak, E., and Rosen, M.R., 2007, Organic chemical concentrations and reproductive biomarkers in common carp (Cyprinus carpio) collected from two areas in Lake Mead, Nevada, May 1999May 2000: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 286, 18 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/2007/286/].
- Hanes, D.M., Erikson, L.H., Lescinski, J.M.R., Harney, J.N., Carter, C.L., Hatcher, G.A., Lacy, J.R., and Rubin, D.M., 2007, Seabed ripple morphology and surficial sediment size at the SAX04 experiments near Fort Walton Beach, Florida, fall 2004: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1232 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1232/].
- Henkel, H.S., compiler, 2007, Proceedings of the first U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Information Management Workshop, March 2123, 2006: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-5232 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2007/5232/].
- Heyl, T.P., Gilhooly, W.P., Chambers, R.M., Gilchrist, G.W., Macko, S.A., and Ruppel, C., 2007, Characteristics of vesicomyid clams and their environment at the Blake Ridge cold seep: Marine Ecology Progress Series, v. 339, p. 169-184.
- Howard, R.J., Travis, S.E., and Sikes, B.A., 2007, Rapid growth of a Eurasian haplotype of Phragmites australis in a restored brackish marsh in Louisiana, USA: Biological Invasions, Online First, July 25, 2007, URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10530-007-9136-7.
- Jenkins, J.A., and Thomas, R.G., 2007, Use of eyeballs for establishing ploidy of Asian carp: North American Journal of Fisheries Management, v. 27, no. 4, p. 1195-1202. [URL http://afs.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-archive&ct=1].
- Kalnejais, L.H., Martin, W.R., Signell, R.P., and Bothner, M.H., 2007, Role of sediment resuspension in the remobilization of particulate-phase metals from coastal sediments: Environmental Science and Technology, v. 41, no. 7, p. 2282-2288 [URL http://pubs.acs.org/cgi-bin/abstract.cgi/esthag/2007/41/i07/abs/es061770z.html].
- Kayen, Robert, Collins, Brian, Abrahamson, Norm, Ashford, Scott, Brandenberg, S.J., Cluff, Lloyd, Dickenson, Stephen, Johnson, Laurie, Tanaka, Yasuo, Tokimatsu, Kohji, Kabeyasawa, Toshimi, Kawamata, Yohsuke, Koumoto, Hidetaka, Marubashi, Nanako, Pujol, Santiago, Steele, Clint, Sun, J.I., Tsai, Ben, Yanev, Peter, Yashinsky, Mark, and Yousok, Kim, Observations on the Niigata-Chuetsu Oki, Japan, earthquake of July 16, 2007: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1365 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1365/].
- Lacy, J.R., Rubin, D.M., Ikeda, Hiroshi, Mokudai, Kuniyasu, and Hanes, D.M., 2007, Bed forms created by simulated waves and currents in a large flume: Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 112, C10018, doi:10.1029/2006JC003942 [URL http://www.agu.org/journals/jc/jc0710/2006JC003942/].
- Lee, J.Y., Yun, T.S., and Sanatamarina, J., 2007, Observations related to tetrahydrofuran and methane hydrate for laboratory studies of hydrate-bearing sediments: Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems (G-cubed), v. 8, Q06003, doi:10.1029/2006GC001531 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2007.../2006GC001531.shtml].
- List, J.H., Hanes, D.M., and Ruggiero, P., 2007, Predicting longshore gradients in longshore transport; the CERC formula compared to DELFT3D, in Smith, J.M., ed., Coastal Engineering 2006, Proceedings of the 30th International Conference, San Diego, Calif., USA, 3-8 September 2006: Singapore, World Scientific, p. 3370-3380 [URL http://www.worldscibooks.com/engineering/6439.html].
- McKee, K.L., Cahoon, D.L., and Feller, I.C., 2007, Caribbean mangroves adjust to rising sea level through biotic controls on change in soil elevation: Global Ecology and Biogeography, v. 16, no. 5, p. 545-556 [URL http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/toc/geb/16/5].
- McKee, K.L., Rooth, J.E., and Feller, I.C., 2007, Mangrove recruitment after forest disturbance is facilitated by herbaceous species in the Caribbean: Ecological Applications, v. 17, no. 6, p. 1678-1693 [URL http://www.esajournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-archive&issn=1051-0761].
- Meckel, T.A., ten Brink, U.S., and Williams, S., 2007, Sediment compaction rates and subsidence in deltatic plains; numerical constraints and stratigraphic influences: Basin Research, v. 19, no. 1, p. 19-31, doi:10.1111/j.1365-2117.2006.00310.x [URL http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365
- Moore, L.J., List, J.H., Williams, S.J., and Stolper, D., 2007, Modeling barrier island response to sea-level rise, in Kraus, Nicholas, and Rosati, Julie, eds., Coastal Sediments ‘07: American Society of Civil Engineers International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes, 6th, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings, p. 1153-1164 [URL https://www.asce.org/bookstore/book.cfm?book=7322].
- Nicholls, R.J., Wong, P.P., Burkett, V.R., Codignotto, J.O., Hay, J.E., McLean, R.F., Ragoonaden, S., and Woodroffe, C.D., 2007, Coastal systems and low-lying areas, in Parry, M.L., Canziani, O.F., Palutikof, J.P., van der Linden, P.J., and Hanson, C.E., eds., Climate Change 2007impacts, adaptation and vulnerability; contribution of Working Group II to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change: Cambridge, U.K., Cambridge University Press, p. 315-356 [URL http://www.ipcc-wg2.org/]
- O’Malley, John, U.S. Geological Survey ArcMap Sediment Classification tool: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1186 [URL http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/pubs/of2007-1186/].
- Owens, A.B., Proffitt, C.E., and Grace, J.B., 2007, Prescribed fire and cutting as tools for reducing woody plant succession in a created salt marsh: Wetlands Ecology and Management, v. 15, no. 5, p. 405-416 [URL http://www.springerlink.com/content/103012/].
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E., and Williams, S., 2007, Coastal change-potential assessment of Sleeping Bear Dunes, Indiana Dunes, and Apostle Islands National Lakeshores to lake-level changes: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1249 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1249/].
- Poppe, L.J., Ackerman, S.D., Doran, E.F., Beaver, A.J., Crocker, J.M., and Schattgen, P.T., 2007, Mapping the sea floor in north-central Long Island Sound with interpolated reconnaissance multibeam bathymetry [abs.]: Biennial Long Island Sound Research Conference, New London, Conn., October 26-28, 2006, Proceedings, p. 93.
- Poppe, L.J., Ackerman, S.D., Foster, D.S., Blackwood, D.S., Williams, S.J., Moser, M.S., Stewart, H., and Glomb, K.A., 2007, Sea-floor character and surface processes of Great Round Shoal Channel, offshore Massachusetts: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1138, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1138/].
- Poppe, L.J., Denny, J.F., Williams, S.J., Moser, M.S., Forfinski, N.A., and Stewart, H., 2007, The geology of Six Mile Reef, eastern Long Island Sound: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1191, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1191/].
- Poppe, L.J., Williams, S.J., Doran, E.F., Moser, M.S., Forfinski, N.A., and Stewart, H.F., 2007, Sea floor character and sedimentary processes of Six Mile Reef interpreted from verified multibeam bathymetry and high-resolution seismic profiles: Biennial Long Island Sound Research Conference, New London, Conn., October 26-28, 2006, Proceedings, p. 94-100.
- Reid, J.A., Williams, S.J., Zimmermann, M., and Jenkins, C., 2007, Integration of seafloor point data in usSEABED: Coastal Zone ‘07, Portland, Oreg., July 22-26, 2007, Proceedings, 4 p. [URL http://www.csc.noaa.gov/cz/].
- Riggs, S.R., and Ames, D.V., 2007, Effect of storms on barrier island dynamics, Core Banks, Cape Lookout National Seashore, North Carolina, 1960-2001: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5309 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2006/5309/].
- Ruppel, C., 2007, Tapping methane hydrates for unconventional natural gas: Elements, v. 3, no. 3, p. 193-199.
- Storlazzi, C.D., Barnard, P.L., Collins, B.D., Finlayson, D.P., Golden, N.E., Hatcher, G.A., Kayen, R.E., and Ruggiero, Peter, 2007, High-resolution topographic, bathymetric, and oceanographic data for the Pleasure Point area, Santa Cruz County, California; 2005-2007: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1270, 29 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1270/].
- U.S. Geological Survey, 2007, Facing tomorrow’s challengesU.S. Geological Survey science in the decade 2007-2017: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1309, 70 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/2007/1309/].
- Williams, S.J., and Foley, M.K., 2007, Recommendations for a Barrier Island Breach Management Plan for Fire Island National Seashore, including the Otis Pike High Dune Wilderness Area, Long Island: National Park Service Technical Report NPS/NER/NRTR-2007/075 [URL http://www.nps.gov/fiis/naturescience/science-synthesis-papers.htm].
- Williams, S.J., Bliss, J.D., Arsenault, M.A., Jenkins, C., and Goff, J.A., 2007, Geologic characterization of shelf areas using usSEABED for GIS mapping, modeling processes and assessing marine sand and gravel resources, in Kraus, Nicholas, and Rosati, Julie, eds., Coastal Sediments ‘07: American Society of Civil Engineers International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes, 6th, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings, p. 2473-2486 [URL https://www.asce.org/bookstore/book.cfm?book=7322].
- Yun, T.S., and Santamarina, J., 2007, Mechanical properties of sand, silt, and clay containing tetrahydrofuran hydrate: Journal of Geophysical Research, v. 112, B04106, doi:10.1029/2006JB004484 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2007.../2006JB004484.shtml].
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
- Bliss, J.D., and Williams, S., Modeling and assessment of marine sand resources in New York Bight, chap. M in Bliss, J.D., Moyle, P.R., and Long, K.R., eds., Contributions to industrial-minerals research: U.S. Geological Survey Bulletin 2209.
- Brock, J.C., Wright, C.W., Patterson, M., Nayegandhi, A., and Travers, L.J., USGS-NPS-NASA EAARL bare-earth topographyCape Cod National Seashore: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Brock, J.C., Wright, C.W., Patterson, M., Nayegandhi, A., and Wilson, I., USGS-NPS-NASA topographyGulf Islands National Seashore, Mississippi: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Cochrane, G.R., Warrick, J.A., Sagy, Yael, Finlayson, D.P., and Harney, Jodie, Sea-floor mapping and benthic habitat GIS for the Elwha River delta nearshore, Washington: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report.
- DeWitt, N., Flocks, J., Hansen, M., and Reynolds, B.J., Bathymetric survey of the nearshore from Belle Pass to Caminada Pass, methods and data report: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series.
- Field, Michael, Ogston, Andrea, and Gibbs, Ann, Rising sea level and increased turbidity on fringing coral reefs [abs.]: International Coral Reef Symposium, 11th, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., July 7-11, 2008.
- Galkiewicz, J.P., and Kellogg, C.A., Temporal shifts in bacterial communities associated with the Pacific stony coral Pocillopora damicornis: American Society for Microbiology, Florida Branch Annual Meeting, St. Petersburg, Fla., October 6-7, 2007.
- Hallock, P., Robbins, L.L., and Peters, M., Are subtropical calcareous green algae responding to ocean acidification? [abs.]: Ocean Sciences Meeting, Orlando, Fla., March 2-7, 2008.
- Harrison, A.S., Dadisman, S.V., Reich, C.D., Wiese, D.S., Greenwood, J.W., and Swarzenski, P.W., Archive of digital boomer and CHIRP seismic reflection data collected during USGS cruise 06FSH03 offshore of Fort Lauderdale, Florida, September 2006: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series.
- Hein, J.R., Schulz, M.S., Dunham, R.E., Stern, R.J., and Bloomer, S.H., Diffuse-flow hydrothermal manganese mineralization along the active Mariana and southern Izu-Bonin arc system, West Pacific: Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Hornbach, M.J., and Lavier, L., Triggering mechanism and tsunamogenic potential of the Cape Fear slide complex, U.S. Atlantic margin: Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems (G-cubed).
- Kuffner, I.B., Andersson, A.J., Jokeil, P.L., Rodgers, K.S., and Mackenzie, F.T., Ocean acidification effects on coral reefs; will changes in community structure overwhelm sub-lethal decreases in calcification rates? [abs.]: Ocean Sciences Meeting, Orlando, Fla., March 2-7, 2008.
- Lindquist, E.S., Krauss, K.W., Green, P.T., O’Dowd, D.J., Sherman, P.M., and Smith, T.J., III, The role of land crabs; key factors in tropical coastal forest recruitment: Biological Reviews.
- Morton, R.A., Bracone, J.E., and Cooke, B., Geomorphology and depositional sub-environments of Assateague Island, Maryland: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
Morton, R.A., Goff, J.R., and Nichol, S.L., Hydrodynamic implications of textural trends in sand deposits of the 2004 tsunami in Sri Lanka: Sedimentology.
- Palaseanu-Lovejoy, M., Nayegandhi, A., Brock, J., Wright, C.W., and Woodman, R., Unsupervised classification of vegetation communities using airborne lidar data at Jean Lafitte National Park, Lousiana, USA [abs.]: Ocean Sciences Meeting, Orlando, Fla., March 2-7, 2008.
- Plant, N.G., Sallenger, A., Howd, P., Stockdon, H., and Holland, K.T., Bayesian prediction approach applied to coastal morphodynamics [abs.]: Ocean Sciences Meeting, Orlando, Fla., March 2-7, 2008.
- Pohlman, J.W., Ruppel, C., Hutchinson, D.R., Downer, R.Z., and Coffin, R.B., Assessing sulfate reduction and methane cycling in a high salinity pore water system in the northern Gulf of Mexico: Marine and Petroleum Geology (Scientific Results of 2005 JIP GoMex Drilling for Gas Hydrates Objective).
- Raabe, E.A., and Bialkowska-Jelinska, E., Temperature anomalies in the lower Suwannee River and tidal creeks, Florida, 2005: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Raabe, E.A., Edwards, R.E., McIvor, C.C., Grubbs, J.W., and Dennis, G.D., Habitat and hydrology; assessing biological resources of the Suwannee River estuarine system: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report, 71 p.
- Robbins, L.L., Hallock, P., and Peters, M., Florida shelves; natural laboratories to study community response to ocean acidification [abs.]: Ocean Carbon and Biogeochemistry Scoping Workshop on Ocean Acidification Research, La Jolla, Calif., October 9-11, 2007.
- Ross, S.W., Unique deep-water ecosystems off the southeastern United States: Oceanography, special issue.
- Shinn, E.A., and Lidz, B.H., The Emperor has no coralan inconvenient truth? [abs.]: International Coral Reef Symposium, 11th, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., July 7-11, 2008.
- Smith, T.J., III, Tiling, G., and Leasure, P.S., Restoring coastal wetlands that were ditched for mosquito control; a preliminary assessment of hydro-leveling as a restoration technique: Journal of Coastal Conservation.
- Stevens, A.W., Lacy, J.R., Finlayson, D.P., and Gelfenbaum, Guy, Evaluation of a single-beam sonar system to map seagrass at two sites in northern Puget Sound: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report.
- Stockdon, H.F., and Thompson, D.M., Vulnerability of National Park Service beaches to inundation during a direct hurricane landfall; Cape Lookout National Seashore: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Stockdon, H.F., and Thompson, D.M., Vulnerability of National Park Service beaches to inundation during a direct hurricane landfall; Fire Island National Seashore: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Stockdon, H.F., Thompson, D.M., and Fauver, L.A., Vulnerability of National Park Service beaches to inundation during a direct hurricane landfall; Cumberland Island National Seashore: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Storlazzi, C.D., Spatial and temporal variability in velocity shear over fringing coral reefs and its implications on water column structure and particulate flux [abs.]: International Coral Reef Symposium, 11th, Fort Lauderdale, Fla., July 7-11, 2008.
- Twichell, D.C., Andrews, B., Edmiston, L., and Stevenson, W., Geophysical mapping of oyster habitats in a shallow estuary; Apalachicola Bay, Florida: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1381.
- Warrick, J.A., Xu, J.P., and Noble, Marlene, Rapid formation of hyperpycnal sediment gravity currents offshore of a semi-arid California river: Continental Shelf Research.
- Zawada, D.G., and Hearn, C.J., Along-shore sand features in a low-energy, subtropical estuary; observations and modeling [abs.]: Ocean Sciences Meeting, Orlando, Fla., March 2-7, 2008.
- Zawada, D.G., Thompson, P.R., and Butcher, J., A new towed platform for the unobtrusive surveying of benthic habitats and organisms, in Association of Marine Laboratories of the Caribbean Scientific Conference, 33rd, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands, June 4-8, 2007, Proceedings: Revista de Biología Tropical, special issue.
in this issue:
Ocean-Bottom Seismometers Monitor Earthquake Swarms
Assessing Resilience of the Chandeleur and Breton Islands
Earth Science Day in Menlo Park, CA
USGS Emeritus Scientist Leads Field Trip
Abby Sallenger Wins USGS Shoemaker Award for Lifetime Achievement in Communication
American Fisheries Society Honors Biologist Walter R. Courtenay
Renee Taksue Recognized by AGU for Excellence in Refereeing
USGS Director Mark Myers Visits the Florida Integrated Science Center
New Book Includes USGS Sea-Floor Data
December Publications List