Recently Published Articles
- Geist, E.L., and Parsons, Tom, 2006, Probabilistic analysis of tsunami hazards: Natural Hazards, v. 37, no. 3, p. 277-314, doi:10.1007/s11069-005-4646-z.
- Geist, E.L., Bilek, S.L., Arcas, Diego, and Titov, V.V., 2006, Differences in tsunami generation between the December 26, 2004 and March 28, 2005 Sumatra earthquakes: Earth, Planets and Space, v. 58, no. 2, p. 185-193 [URL http://www.terrapub.co.jp/journals/EPS/abstract/5802/58020185.html].
- Grossman, E.E., Barnhardt, W.A., Hart, Patrick, Richmond, B.M., and Field, M.E., 2006, Shelf stratigraphy and the influence of antecedent substrate on Holocene reef development, south Oahu, Hawaii: Marine Geology, v. 226, no. 1-2, p. 97-114, doi:10.1016/j.margeo.2005.09.012.
- Harney, J.N., Cochrane, G.R., Etherington, L.L., Dartnell, Pete, Golden, N.E., and Chezar, Hank, 2006, Geologic characteristics of benthic habitats in Glacier Bay, southeast Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1081 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1081/].
- Hart, K.M., Mooreside, P., and Crowder, L.B., 2006, Interpreting the spatio-temporal patterns of sea turtle stranding; going with the flow: Biological Conservation, v. 129, no. 2, p. 283-290, doi:10.1016/j.biocon.2005.10.047.
- Hutchinson, D.R., and Rowland, R.W., 2006, USGS analysis of the Australian UNCLOS submission: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1073 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1073/].
- Luepke Bynum, Gretchen, 2006, Review of Minerals of the World by Ole Johnsen: Rocks and Minerals, v. 81, no. 2, p. 157-158.
- Moore, Joel, Gutteriez, E.G., Mecray, E.L., and Buchholtz ten Brink, M.R., 2006, Physical properties of Long Island Sound sediment cores: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 02-372 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2002/of02-372/].
- Poppe, L.J., Williams, S.J., and Paskevich, V.F., 2006, Textural analysis of marine sediments at the USGS Woods Hole Science Center; methodology and data on DVD: Joint Eighth Federal Interagency Sedimentation Conference and Third Federal Interagency Hydrologic Modeling Conference, Reno, Nev., April 2-6, 2006, Proceedings, 7 p.
- Poppe, L.J., Paskevich, V.F., Foster, D.S., Danforth, W.W., and Ackerman, S.D., 2006, Ecologic and hydrogeologic importance of exposed glaciodeltaic sediments off outer Cape Cod, Massachusetts [abs.]: Geographic Information Systems and Ocean Mapping in Support of Fisheries Research and Management Conference, Cambridge, Mass., April 11, 2006, abstract booklet, p. 60-62 [URL http://web.mit.edu/seagrant/GIS06/].
- Raabe, E.A., Gauron, L.C., Sakamoto, M., and McIvor, C.C., 2006, Marshland to mangrove; a tale of Tampa Bay [abs.]: Association of American Geographers annual meeting, Chicago, Ill., March 7-11, 2006, abstracts [URL http://communicate.aag.org/eseries/aag_org/program/AbstractDetail.cfm?AbstractID=9538].
- Reep, R.L., and Bonde, R.K., 2006, The Florida manatee; biology and conservation: Gainesville, University Press of Florida, 224 p.
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
- Adams, P.N., Ruggiero, Peter, Gelfenbaum, G.R., Schoch, G.C., and Anderson, R.S., Intertidal sand wave migration along a mixed-sediment, megatidal coast, Kachemak Bay, Alaska: Marine Geology.
- Asch, R.G., Collie, J.S., and Valentine, P.C., Microhabitat associations between megabenthos and colonial epifauna on Georges Bank [abs.]: Benthic Ecology Meeting, Quebec City, Canada, March 8-12, 2006.
- Barnard, P.L., and Hanes, D.M., Coastal monitoring of the May 2005 dredge disposal offshore of Ocean Beach, San Francisco, CA: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Barnhardt, W.A., and Andrews, B., Mapping the seafloor geology offshore of Massachusetts; A State-Federal cooperative program: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2006-3042.
- Brock, J.C., Wright, C.W., Patterson, Matt, Nayegandhi, Amar, Patterson, Judd, Harris, M.S., and Mosher, Lance, USGS-NPS-NASA-EAARL submarine topography, Biscayne National Park: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1118.
- Buczkowski, B.J., Reid, J.A., Jenkins, C.J., Reid, J.M., Williams, S.J., and Flocks, J.G., usSEABED; Gulf of Mexico and Caribbean (Puerto Rico and U.S. Virgin Islands) offshore surficial sediment data release, version 1.0: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 146.
- Chuanmin, H., Muller-Karger, F.E., and Swarzenski, P.W., Hurricanes, submarine groundwater discharge, and west Florida’s red tide: Geophysical Research Letters.
- Cochrane, G.R., Geology and habitat mapping in California State waters [abs.]: Circum-Pacific Council Workshop on Marine Benthic Habitats, Wellington, New Zealand, March 30-31, 2006.
- Cochrane, G.R., Nearshore benthic habitat GIS for the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary and southern California State Fisheries Reserves [abs.]: GeoHab; Marine Geological and Biological Habitat Mapping International Symposium, 7th, Edinburgh, U.K., May 3-6, 2006.
- Cross, V.A., Bratton, J.F., Bergeron, E., Maunier, J.K., Crusius, J., and Koopmans, D.J., Continuous resistivity profiling data from the Upper Neuse River Estuary, North Carolina, 2004-2005: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1005, CD-ROM.
- Dadisman, S., Calderon, K., Wertz, R., Flocks, J., and Subino, J., The Geodatabase solution to data management; examples from LASED and XSTORMS [abs.]: USGS Scientific Information Management Workshop, Reston, Va., March 21-23, 2006.
- Draut, A.E., Clift, P.D., and Blodgett, R.B., Field-trip guide to volcaniclastic sediments of the Lower Jurassic Talkeetna Formation, Sheep Mountain, south-central Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Draut, A.E., Field, M.E., Bothner, M.H., Logan, J.B., Casso, M.A., Baldwin, S.M., and Storlazzi, C.D., Coastal circulation and sediment dynamics in Hanalei Bay, Kauai; part II. Tracking recent fluvial sedimentation; short half-life isotope stratigraphy obtained in summer 2005: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Foxgrover, A.C., and Jaffe, B.E., Is there enough sediment available to restore the ponds to tidal marsh? What the past can tell us about how to move forward with restoration plans [abs.]: South Bay Science SymposiumSouth Bay Salt Ponds, Bay and Watershed Research, San Jose, Calif., June 6, 2006.
- Grossman, Eric, Factors controlling Holocene reef development in Hawaii [abs.]: Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM) Course 19, Quaternary Reefs and Platforms; Bridging the Gap between the Ancient and the Modern, Houston, Tex., April 13-14, 2006.
- Gutierrez, B.T., Williams, S.J., and Thieler, E.R., Assessing potential impacts of sea-level rise to the U.S. coasts [abs.]: Assateague Shelf and Shore Workshop, Lewes, Del., April 2-11, 2006.
- Hutchinson, D.R., Hart, P.E., Ruppel, C.D., Snyder, F., and Dugan, B., Seismic and thermal characterization of a bottom simulating reflection: AAPG Special Publication.
- Hutchinson, D.R., Ruppel, C., and Collett, T.S., Gas hydrates, salt, and fluids in the northern Gulf of Mexico, USA [abs.]: National Geophysical Research Institute, Gas HydratesA Potential Source of Energy, Hyderabad, India, June 27-28, 2006.
- Kleypas, J., Feely, R., Fabry, V., Langdon, C., Sabine, C., and Robbins, L., Impacts of ocean acidification on coral reefs and other marine calcifiers; a guide to future research: Workshop on the Impacts of Increasing Atmospheric CO2 on Coral Reefs and Other Marine Calcifiers, St. Petersburg, Fla., April 18-20, 2005, white paper, 100 p.
- Lee, H.J., Ryan, H.F., Kayen, R.E., Haeussler, P.J., Dartnell, Peter, and Hampton, M.A., Varieties of submarine failure morphologies of seismically induced landslides in Alaskan fjords: Norwegian Journal of Geology.
- Lisle, J.T., and Reich, C., Microbial ecology in reef sediments in Biscayne National Park: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet.
- Morford, J., Martin, W., Kalnejais, L., Francois, R., Bothner, M.H., and Karle, I.M., Insights on geochemical cycling and diagenesis of U, Re and Mo from pore water profiles and benthic chambers from seasonal sampling in Hingham Bay, Massachusetts, USA: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E.R., and Williams, S.J., Coastal vulnerability assessment of Point Reyes National Park Seashore to sea-level rise: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1059.
- Reich, C., Halley, R., Swarzenski, P.W., and Hickey, T.D., Groundwater dynamics in Biscayne National Park, South Florida [abs.]: Greater Everglades
Ecosystem Restoration Conference, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., June 5-9, 2006.
- Stockdon, H.F., Sallenger, A.H., and Holman, R.A., 2006, A simple model for the large-scale, spatially-variable coastal response to hurricanes: Marine Geology.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Ra and Rn isotopes as natural tracers of submarine groundwater discharge in Tampa Bay, FL: Marine Chemistry.
- Waldrop, W.R., and Swarzenski, P.W., A new tool for quantifying flux rates between surface water and ground water: American Institute of Hydrology 25th Anniversary Meeting, Baton Rouge, La., May 21-24, 2006, Proceedings.
- Warner, J.C., and Geyer, W.R., Residence times in estuaries; a numerical case study [abs.]: PECS 2006Physics of Estuaries and Coastal Seas, Astoria, Oreg., September 18-22, 2006.
- Warner, J.C., Signell, R.P., Sherwood, C.R., and Arango, H.G., Development of a coupled oceanic, wave, and sediment transport model [abs.]: Waves in Shallow Environments (WISE), Venice, Italy, April 23-27, 2006.
- Winters, W.J., Hutchinson, D.R., Waite, W.F., and Mason, D.H., Behavior of sediment containing synthetic and natural gas hydrate [abs.]: Taiwan Gas Hydrate Workshop, Taipei, Taiwan, March 14-17, 2006.
in this issue:
Scientists Revisit New Orleans Levee Breaks
Impressions of Post-Katrina New Orleans and Mississippi
usSEABED Offshore Sediment Data for the Atlantic Coast Region
GIS and Ocean Mapping Workshop
New Mendenhall Postdoctoral Research Fellows
New Book About the Florida Manatee
May 2006 Publications List