Recently Published Articles
- Allain, L., Smith, L., Allen, C., Vidrine, M.F., and Grace, J.B., 2006, A floristic quality assessment system for the coastal prairie of Louisiana: North American Prairie Conference, 19th, August 8-12, 2004, University of Wisconsin, Madison, Proceedings, 18 p.
- Allen, J.A., and Krauss, K.W., 2006, Influence of propagule flotation longevity and light availability on establishment of introduced mangrove species in Hawai'i: Pacific Science, v. 60, no. 3, p. 367-376 [URL http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/pacific_science/toc/psc60.3.html].
- Bernier, J.C., Morton, R.A., and Barras, J.A., 2006, Constraining rates and trends of historical wetland loss, Mississippi River Delta plain, south-central Louisiana, chap. 30 of Xu, Y.J., and Singh, V.P., eds., Coastal environment and water quality: Highlands Ranch, Colo., Water Resources Publications, p. 371-382.
- Dartnell, Peter, Barnard, Patrick, Chin, J.L., Hanes, Daniel, Kvitek, R.G., Iampietro, P.J., and Gardner, J.V., 2006, Under the Golden Gate Bridgeviews of the sea floor near the entrance to San Francisco Bay, California: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 2917 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/2006/2917/].
- Draut, A.E., Field, M.E., Bothner, M.H., Logan, J.B., Casso, M.A., Baldwin, S.M., and Storlazzi, C.D., 2006, Coastal circulation and sediment dynamics in Hanalei Bay, Kaua'i, part II, tracking recent fluvial sedimentation; isotope stratigraphy obtained in summer 2005: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1125 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1125/].
- Grossman, E.E., Eittreim, S.L., Field, M.E., and Wong, F.L., 2006, Shallow stratigraphy and sedimentation history during high-frequency sea-level changes on the central California shelf: Continental Shelf Research, v. 26, no. 10, p. 1217-1239, doi:10.1016/j.csr.2006.04.001.
- Keim, R.F., Chambers, J.L., Hughes, M.S., Nyman, J.A., Miller, C.A., Amos, J.B., Conner, W.H., Day, J.W., Jr., Faulkner, S.P., Gardiner, E.S., King, S.L., McLeod, K.W., and Shaffer, G.P., 2006, Ecological consequences of changing hydrological conditions in wetland forests of coastal Louisiana, chap. 31 of Xu, Y.J., and Singh, V.P., eds., Coastal environment and water quality: Highlands Ranch, Colo., Water Resources Publications, p. 383-395.
- Krauss, K.W., 2006, Seed predation by crabs on two Micronesian mangrove species; evaluating the dominance-predation hypothesis [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) Summer Meeting, "Global Challenges Facing Oceanography and Limnology," Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, June 4-9, 2006, p. 67 [URL http://www.sgmeet.com/aslo/victoria2006/viewabstract2.asp?AbstractID=459].
- Krauss, K.W., Twilley, R.R., Doyle, T.W., and Gardiner, E.S., 2006, Leaf gas exchange characteristics of three neotropical mangrove species in response to varying hydroperiod: Tree Physiology, v. 26, p. 959-968.
- Lindquist, E.S., Krauss, K.W., and O'Dowd, D.J., 2006, Getting the crab walk straight; crabs as ecological filters in coastal and freshwater ecosystems [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) Summer Meeting, "Global Challenges Facing Oceanography and Limnology," Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, June 4-9, 2006, p. 73 [URL http://www.sgmeet.com/aslo/victoria2006/viewabstract2.asp?AbstractID=546]
- Madej, M.A., Currens, C., Ozaki, V., Yee, J., and Anderson, D.G., 2006, Assessing possible thermal rearing restrictions for juvenile coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) through thermal infrared imaging and in-stream monitoring, Redwood Creek, California: Canadian Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences, v. 63, p. 1384-1396 [URL http://pubs.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/cgi-bin/rp/rp2_abst_e?cjfas_f06-043_63_ns_nf_cjfas6-06].
- Marburger, J., Travis, S., and Windels, S., 2006, Cattail sleuths use forensic science to better understand spread of an invasive species, in Battling nonnative species and diseases, chap. 4 of Selleck, Jeff, ed., Natural Resource Year in Review2005: Denver, Colo., National Park Service, p. 75-76 [URL http://www2.nature.nps.gov/YearinReview/].
- Normark, W.R., Piper, D.J.W., Sliter, R.W., Triezenberg, Peter, and Gutmacher, C.E., 2006, Digital single-channel seismic-reflection data from western Santa Monica Basin: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1180 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1180/].
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E.R., and Williams, S.J., 2006, Coastal vulnerability assessment of Point Reyes National Park Seashore (PORE) to sea-level rise: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1059 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1059/].
- Poppe, L.J., Foster, D.S., and Danforth, W.W., 2006, Character and distribution of exposed glaciodeltaic deposits off outer Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and their effects on hydrogeology and benthic habitats: Geo-Marine Letters, v. 26, no. 1, p. 51-57, doi:10.1007/s00367-005-0015-x.
- Poppe, L.J., Lewis, R.S., DiGiacomo-Cohen, M.L., Smith, S.M., Stewart, H.F., and Forfinski, N.A., 2006, Sea floor character and sedimentary processes in eastern Long Island Sound and northwestern Block Island Sound: Geo-Marine Letters, v. 26, no. 2, p. 59-68, doi:10.1007/s00367-006-0016-4.
- Poppe, L.J., Paskevich, V.F., Butman, B., Ackerman, S.D., Danforth, W.W., Foster, D.S., and Blackwood, D.S., 2006 Geological interpretation of bathymetric and backscatter imagery of the sea floor off eastern Cape Cod: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1048 [URL http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/pubs/of2005-1048/].
- Reid, J.A., Reid, J.M., Jenkins, C.J., Zimmermann, Mark, Williams, S.J., and Field, M.E., 2006, usSEABED: Pacific coast (California, Oregon, Washington) offshore surficial-sediment data release: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 182, ver. 1 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/2006/182/].
- Steyer, G.D., Owens, A.B., and Couvillion, B.R., 2006, Data collection network to support ecosystem forecasting for the Barataria BasinMississippi River domain, chap. 35 of Xu, Y.J., and Singh, V.P., eds., Coastal environment and water quality: Highlands Ranch, Colo., Water Resources Publications, p. 431-442.
- Sullivan, C., Warner, J.C., Martini, M., Lightsom, F.L., Voulgaris, G., and Work, P., 2006, Wave Data Processing Toolbox manual: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1211, CD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1211/].
- ten Brink, U.S., Geist, E.L., and Andrews, B.D., 2006, Size distribution of submarine landslides and its implication to tsunami hazard in Puerto Rico: Geophysical Research Letters, v. 33, L11307, doi:10.1029/2006GL026125 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2006/2006GL026125.shtml].
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
Barth, G.A., Scholl, D.W., and Childs, J.R., Bering Sea VAMP anomalies; exploring the distribution of natural gas and gas hydrate indicators: AAPG Studies in Geology; Hedberg Conference Proceedings special volume.
Collie, J.S., Valentine, P.C., Anderson, J., and Gordon, D., A small hotspot of benthic biodiversity on the northwest Atlantic continental shelf [abs.]: International Council for the Exploration of the Sea (ICES) Annual Science Conference, Maastricht, Netherlands, September 19-23, 2006.
Collins, B.D., and Kayen, Robert, Applicability of terrestrial LIDAR scanning for scientific studies in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
Crusius, J., Bratton, J., Koopmans, D.J., McCoy, C., Sprouill, T., and Corbett, R., Groundwater discharge to the Neuse River estuary inferred from activities of 222Rn: Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science.
Denny, J.F., Schwab, W.C., Twichell, D.C., O'Brien, T.F., Bergeron, E., Worley, C.R., Danforth, W.W., Irwin, B.J., Foster, D.S., Baldwin, W.E., Morton, R.A., Thieler, E.R., Nichols, D.R., and Andrews, B.A., Advances in integrated, high-resolution sea-floor mapping; inner continental shelf to estuaries [abs.]: Coastal Sediments ‘07 (International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes, 6th), New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007.
Draut, A.E., and Rubin, D.M., Measurement of wind, aeolian sand transport, and precipitation in the Colorado River corridor, Grand Canyon, Arizona; January 2005 to January 2006: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
Fauver, L.A., Thompson, D.M., and Sallenger, A.S., Modeling dune response during Hurricane Ivan using measured bathymetry [abs.]: Coastal Sediments ‘07 (International Symposium on Coastal Engineering and Science of Coastal Sediment Processes, 6th), New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007.
Fisher, M.A., Ruppert, N.A., Wilson, F.H., Comer, Drew, Sliter, R.W., and Wong, F.L., Geologic setting and regional seismicity of the erupting Augustine Volcano, lower Cook Inlet, Alaska [abs.]: Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pa., October 22-25, 2006.
Hart, P.E., Lorenson, Thomas, Grantz, Arthur, and Herman, B.M., Gas hydrate and associated free gas across the Alaskan Beaufort Sea outer continental margin [abs.]: Fifth Workshop of the International Committee on Gas Hydrates, Edinburgh, Scotland, October 9-12, 2006.
Hein, J.R., Clague, D.A., Embley, R.W., Vrijenhoek, R.C., and McIntyre, B.R., Hydrothermal hematite/silica rocks from the Blanco Fracture Zone, northeast Pacific [abs.]: Underwater Mining Institute Annual Conference, 36th, Kiel, Germany, September 24-30, 2006.
Kellogg, C.A, 2006, Characterization of microbial communities associated with African desert dust and their implications for human and ecosystem health [abs.]: International Symposium on Environmental Geochemistry, 7th , Beijing, China, September 24-27, 2006.
Lightsom, F.L., and Allwardt, A.O., The Marine Realms Information Banka coastal and marine digital library [abs.]: USGS Scientific Information Management Workshop, Reston, Va., March 21-23, 2006.
Normark, W.R., Piper, D.J.W., Sliter, R.W., Triezenberg, Peter, and Gutmacher, C.E., Digital single-channel seismic-reflection data from western Santa Monica Basin: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
Orzech, K.M., Noble, Marlene, Gartner, A.L., and Kinney, Juliet, South San Pedro Bay data report, summer 2001: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
Poppe, L.J., Williams, S.J., Doran, E.F., Moser, M.S., Forfinski, N.A., and Stewart, H.F., Sand wave morphology and sedimentary processes in the vicinity of Six Mile Reef, eastern Long Island Sound [abs.]: Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pa., October 22-25, 2006.
Ryan, H.F., Fly-through the faults offshore of San Diego and Orange Counties; what can marine geophysics tell us about earthquake hazards offshore? [abs.]: Invited public presentation at Ocean Institute in Dana Point, Calif., September 1, 2006.
Thieler, E.R., Himmelstoss, E.A., Zichichi, J.L., and Miller, T., The Digital Shoreline Analysis System (v. 3.x); enhanced software for computing shoreline change from feature- and datum-based shoreline position [abs.]: Shoreline Change Conference II; a Workshop on Managing Shoreline Change, Charleston, S.C., May 3-5, 2006.
Todd, B.J., Valentine, P.C., Longva, O., and Shaw, J., Glacial landforms on German Bank, Scotian Shelf; evidence for late Wisconsinan ice sheet dynamics: Boreas.
Warrick, J.A., and Farnsworth, K.L., Sources of sediment to the Southern California Bight: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
in this issue:
Scientists Study Sources of Nitrogen in Hood Canal
Biologists Count Parasites to Assess Health of Marsh
Researcher Studies Effects of African Dust on Human and Coral Health
Water Temperature Restricts Distribution of Coho Salmon in Redwood Creek
USGS Open House in Menlo Park, CA
Scientists and Educators Support "Watershed Watchers" Program
George Crekos' 30-Year Career Celebrated
Geography Students Speak Out at Science Symposium
Council of Science Editors Annual Meeting
USGS Scientists Receive Coral Reef Task Force Award
National Wetlands Research Center Staff Win Awards for Publications
Visiting Scientist Shares Expertise in Coastal-Evolution Modeling
July 2006 Publications List