Recently Published Articles
- Barnard, P.L., and Hanes, D.M., 2006, Coastal monitoring of the May 2005 dredge disposal offshore of Ocean Beach, San Francisco, Calif.: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1140 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1140/].
- Carr, R.S., Nipper, Marion, Field, Michael, and Biedenbach, J.M., 2006, Coastal circulation and sediment dynamics in Hanalei Bay, Kaua‘i, part III, studies of sediment toxicity: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1147 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1147/].
- Draut, A.E., and Rubin, D.M., 2006, Measurements of wind, aeolian sand transport, and precipitation in the Colorado River corridor, Grand Canyon, Arizona; January 2005 to January 2006: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1188 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1188/].
- Draut, A.E., Clift, P.D., and Blodgett, R.B., 2006, Field-trip guide to volcanic and volcaniclastic deposits of the Lower Jurassic Talkeetna Formation, Sheep Mountain, south-central Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1124 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1124/].
- Garrison, V.H., 2006, From Aspergillus to Timbuktu; African dust, coral reefs, and human health [abs.]: World Congress of Soil Science, 18th, Philadelphia, Pa., July 9-15, 2006, abstract 88-2, p. 77 [URL http://crops.confex.com/crops/wc2006/techprogram/P14057.HTM].
- Garrison, V.H., Carr, R.S., Foreman, W.T., Griffin, D., Holmes, C., Kellogg, C., Majewski, M.S., Nipper, M., Shinn, E.A., Simonich, S.L., and Smith, G.W., 2005, Saharan dust and the degradation of coral reefsevidence of a link [abs.]: Association of Marine Laboratories of the Caribbean Scientific Meeting, 32nd, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles, June 13-17, 2005, Abstracts, p. 29.
- Garrison, V.H., Carr, R.S., Foreman, W.T., Holmes, C., Majewski, M.S., Nipper, M., Shinn, E.A., Simonich, S.L., and Smith, G.W., 2005, African dust and degradation of coral reefsa tale of persistent organic pollutants, metals and microbes [abs.]: International Association of Meteorology and Atmospheric Sciences General Assembly, 9th, Beijing, China, August 2-11, 2005, Abstracts, p. A-121 [URL http://web.lasg.ac.cn/IAMAS2005/download.html].
- Hall, D.K., Williams, R.S., Jr., Casey, K.A., DiGirolamo, N.E., and Wan, Z., 2006, Satellite-derived, melt-season surface temperature of the Greenland Ice Sheet (2000-2005) and its relationship to mass balance: Geophysical Research Letters, v. 33, no. 11, L11501, doi:10.1029/2006GL026444 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2006/2006GL026444.shtml].
- Meckel, T.A., ten Brink, U.S., and Williams, S.J., 2006, Estimating present compaction rates in coastal deltaic environmentsnumerical methods and stratigraphic influences: Geophysical Research Letters, v. 33, no. 11, L11403, doi:10.1029/2006GL26300 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2006/2006GL026300.shtml].
- Poppe, L.J., Paskevich, V.F., Butman, B., Ackerman, S.D., Danforth, W.W., Foster, D.S., and Blackwood, D.S., 2006, Geological interpretation of bathymetric and backscatter imagery of the sea floor off eastern Cape Cod: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1048 (DVD-ROM) [URL http://woodshole.er.usgs.gov/pubs/of2005-1048/].
- Smith-Vaniz, W.F., Jelks, H.L., and Rocha, L.A., 2006, Relevance of cryptic fishes in biodiversity assessments; a case study at Buck Island Reef National Monument, St. Croix: Bulletin of Marine Science, v. 79, p. 17-48 [URL http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/bms/].
- ten Brink, U.S., Geist, E.L., and Andrews, B.D., 2006, Size distribution of submarine landslides and its implication to tsunami hazard in Puerto Rico: Geophysical Research Letters, v. 33, no. 11, L11307, doi:10.1029/2006GL026125 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2006/2006GL026125.shtml].
- ten Brink, U.S., Song, J., and Bucknam, R.C., 2006, Rupture models for the A.D. 900-930 Seattle fault earthquake from uplifted shorelines: Geology, v. 34, no. 7, p. 585-588 [URL http://www.gsajournals.org/gsaonline/?request=get-archive&issn=0091-7613].
- Verdi, R.J., Tomlinson, S.A., and Marella, R.L., 2006, The drought of 1998-2002; impacts on Florida’s hydrology and landscape: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1295 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/2006/1295/].
- Ward, G.A., Smith, T.J., III, and Whelan, K.R.T., 2006, Regional processes in mangrove ecosystems; spatial scaling relationships, biomass and turnover rate trends following catastrophic disturbance: Hydrobiologia, v. 569, no. 1, p. 517-527, doi:10.1007/s10750-006-0153-9.
- Zawada, D.G., Brock, J.C., Along-Track Reef Imaging System (ATRIS): U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2006-3051 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2006/3051/].
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
- Barnard, P.L., Hanes, D.M., Kvitek, R.G., and Iampietro, P.J., Bedforms at the mouth of San Francisco Bay: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map.
- Barnard, P.L., Harney, Jodi, and Rubin, D.M., Field test comparison of an autocorrelation technique for determining grain size using a digital “eyeball” camera versus traditional methods: Sedimentary Geology.
- Brock, J.C., Wright, C.W., Patterson, M., Nayegandhi, A., and Patterson, Judd, USGS-NPS-NASA-EEARL, submarine topography, Dry Tortugas National Park: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report, DVD.
- Calderon, Karynna, Dadisman, S.V., Kindinger, J.L., Flocks, J.G., Harris, M.S., and Thompson, P.R., Archive of digital boomer seismic reflection data collected during USGS cruise 97CCT01 offshore of central South Carolina, June 1997: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series.
- Carniel, S., Sclavo, M., and Warner, J.C., Applying a coupled oceanic-wave-sediment transport model on coastal environments; a case study in the North Adriatic Sea [abs.]: Estuarine and Coastal Sciences Association (ECSA) International Conference, 41st, “Measuring and Managing Changes in Estuaries and Lagoons,” Venice, Italy, October 15-20, 2006.
- Crusius, J., and Kenna, T., Ensuring confidence in radionuclide-based sediment chronologies and mixing rates: Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science.
- Fisher, M.A., and Sliter, R.W., Does a boundary of the Wrangell block extend through lower Cook Inlet, Alaska?: Geophysical Research Letters.
- Fisher, M.A., Langenheim, V.E., Nicholson, Craig, Ryan, Holly, and Sliter, R.W., Recent developments in understanding the tectonic evolution of the southern California offshore area; implications for earthquake-hazard analysis: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Garrison, V.H., Foreman, W.T., Majewski, M.S., Mohammed, A., Genualdi, S.A., Simonich, S.L., and Lisle, J.T., Long-distance transport of persistent organic pollutants and trace metals in Saharan dust air masses [abs.]: Earth Science and Public HealthNational Conference on USGS Health-Related Research, 2nd, Reston, Va., February 27-March 1, 2007.
- Gibbs, A.E., Cochran, S.A., Logan, J.B., and Grossman, E.G., Benthic habitats and offshore geological resources of Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report.
- Hansen, M.E., Estimation of debris quantities after Hurricane KatrinaHarrison County, MS: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report, 14 p.
- Mallinson, D.J., Culver, S J., Riggs, S.R., Farrell, K., Wehmiller, J., Thieler, E.R., Foster, D.S., and Pierson, J., Early Pleistocene antecedent control on the location of Cape Hatteras; Mid-Atlantic coastal system, USA: Geology.
- Meunier, T.K., U.S. Geological Survey activities in the exploration of Antarctica; 1946-2006 record of U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and non-USGS collaborating personnel in Antarctica and their postal cachets; U.S. Navy (1946-48, 1954-60), International Geophysical Year (1957-58), and U.S. Geological Survey (1960-2005), in Williams, R.S., Jr., and Ferrigno, J.G., eds.: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1116.
- Meunier, T.K., U.S. Geological Survey scientific activities in the exploration of Antarctica, 1995-96 field season, in Williams, R.S., Jr., and Ferrigno, J.G., eds.: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1114.
- Noble, M.A., Rosenberger, Kurt, Signell, Richard, White, Carmen, and Meistrell, Joe, Rapid variations in the temporal and spatial structures of barotropic and baroclinic currents associated with tidal processes on the Los Angeles shelves [abs.]: East Pacific Ocean Conference (EPOC), 53d annual, Timberline, Oreg., September 27-30, 2006.
- Poag, C.W., Solving a Chesapeake Bay conundrum; new clues to the source beds for North American tektites [abs.]: Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pa., October 22-25, 2006.
- Poppe, L.J., Ackerman, S.D., Doran, E.F., Beaver, A.J., Crocker, J.M., and Schattgen, P.T., Mapping the sea floor in north-central Long Island Sound with interpolated reconnaissance multibeam bathymetry [abs.]: Long Island Sound Biennial Research Conference, New London, Conn., October 26-28, 2006.
- Poppe, L.J., Williams, S.J., Doran, E.F., Moser, M.S., Forfinski, N.A., and Stewart, H.F., Seafloor character and sedimentary processes of Six Mile Reef interpreted from verified multibeam bathymetry and high-resolution seismic profiles [abs.]: Long Island Sound Biennial Research Conference, New London, Conn., October 26-28, 2006.
- Ryan, H.F., compiler, Structure number 292, San Diego Trough fault zone, in Quaternary fault and fold database of the United States: URL http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/regional/qfaults/.
- Shuman, C.A., Hall, D.K., and Williams, R.S., Jr., Detection of surface-elevation change on Drangajokull, Iceland: Annals of Glaciology.
- ten Brink, U.S., Smith, S., Stepka, T., Worley, C.R,. and Williams, G.F., Project PROBE Leg IReport and archive of multibeam bathymetry and acoustic backscatter, CTD/XBT and GPS navigation data collected during USGS cruise 02051 (NOAA cruise RB0208), Puerto Rico Trench, September 24, 2002, to September 30, 2002: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1066.
- Tsunami Pilot Study Working Group, Seaside, Oregon, Tsunami Pilot Studymodernization of FEMA flood hazard maps: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Twichell, D.C., Cross, V.A., Paskevich, V.F., Hutchinson, D.R., Winters, W.J., and Hart, P.E., GIS of selected geophysical and core data in the northern Gulf of Mexico continental slope collected by the U.S. Geological Survey: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1071 [DVD-ROM].
- Warrick, J.A., and Farnsworth, K.L., Hyperpycnal river plume processesinsights from the small, semi-arid rivers of southern California [abs.]: Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Philadelphia, Pa., October 22-25, 2006.
in this issue:
Measuring Hurricane Impact Along the Louisiana Coastline
Submarine Ground-Water Discharge in Santa Barbara and Hood Canal
California Sea-Otter Numbers Dip in 2006, Overall Population Trent Positive
Lake Whitefish Returning to the Detroit River
Parasites, the Thread of Food Webs?
USGS Display in Florida Library
Genomic Aerobiology Workshop
Barry Rosen to Lead USGS in Florida
usSEABED: Pacific Coast Offshore Surficial Sediment Data Release
August 2006 Publications List