|Nov. / Dec. 2006
Recently Published Articles
- Ackerman, S.D., Butman, B., Barnhardt, W.A., Danforth, W.W., and Crocker, J.M., 2006, High-resolution geologic mapping of the inner continental shelf; Boston Harbor and approaches, Massachusetts: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1008, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1008/].
- Barnard, P.L., Hanes, D.M., Kvitek, R.G., and Iampietro, P.J., 2006, Sand waves at the mouth of San Francisco Bay, California: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 2944, 5 pls., [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/sim/2006/2944/].
- Bothner, M.H., Reynolds, R.L., Casso, M.A., Storlazzi, C.D., and Field, M.E., 2006, Quantity, composition, and source of sediment collected in sediment traps along the fringing coral reef of Molokai, Hawaii: Marine Pollution Bulletin, v. 52, no. 9, p. 1034-1047, doi:10.1016/j.marpolbul.2006.01.008.
- Butman, B., Alexander, P.S., Scotti, A., Beardsley, R.C., and Anderson, S.P., 2006, Large internal waves in Massachusetts Bay transport sediments offshore: Continental Shelf Research, v. 26, no. 17-18, p. 2029-2049, doi:10.1016/j.csr.2006.07.022.
- Calderon, K., Dadisman, S.V., Kindinger, J.L., Flocks, J.G., Harris, M.S., and Thompson, P.R., 2006, Archive of digital boomer seismic-reflection data collected during USGS cruise 97CCT01 offshore of central South Carolina, June 1-4, 1997: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 203, DVD.
- Calderon, K., Dadisman, S.V., Yobbi, D.K., McBride, W.S., Flocks, J.G., and Wiese, D.S., 2006, Archive of boomer seismic reflection data collected in the Withlacoochee River of west-central Florida during USGS field activity 04SGI01, March 1-5, 2004: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 119, DVD.
- Garrison, V.H., Shinn, E.A., Miller, J., Carlo, M., Rodriguez, R.W., and Koltes, K., 2005, Benthic cover on coral reefs of Isla Del Culebra (Puerto Rico) 1991-1998 and a comparison of assessment techniques: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1398, 16 p.
- Grossman, Eric, Hart, P.E., Field, M.E., and Triezenberg, Peter, 2006, High-resolution chirp seismic reflection data acquired from the Cap de Creus shelf and canyon area, Gulf of Lions, Spain in 2004: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1247, URL [http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1247/].
- Hapke, Cheryl, and Reid, David, 2006, The National Assessment of Shoreline Change; A GIS compilation of vector shorelines and associated shoreline change data for the sandy shorelines of the California coast: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1251, URL [http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1251/].
- Himmelstoss, E.A., Fitzgerald, D.M., Rosen, P.S., and Allen, J.R., 2006, Bluff evolution of coastal drumlins; Boston Harbor Islands, Massachusetts: Journal of Coastal Research, v. 22, no. 5, p. 1230-1240.
- Kuffner, I.B., Walters, L.J., Becerro, M.A., Paul, V.J., Ritson-Williams, R., and Beach, K.S., 2006, Inhibition of coral recruitment by macroalgae and cyanobacteria: Marine Ecology Progress Series, v. 323, p. 107-117 [URL http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v323/p107-117/].
- Morton, R.A., Bernier, J.C., and Barras, J.A., 2006, Evidence of regional subsidence and associated interior wetland loss induced by hydrocarbon production, Gulf Coast region, USA: Environmental Geology, v. 50, no. 2, p. 261-274, doi: 10.1007/s00254-006-0207-3.
- Morton, R.A., Bernier, J.C., Barras, J.A., and Ferina, N.F., 2005, Historical subsidence and wetland loss in the Mississippi delta plain: Gulf Coast Association of Geological Societies Transactions, v. 55, p. 555-571.
- Morton, R.A., and Peterson, R.L., 2006, Coastal classification atlas; central Texas coastal classification mapsAransas Pass to Mansfield Channel: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1096, [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1096/].
- Morton, R.A., and Peterson, R.L., 2006, Coastal classification atlas; south Texas coastal classification mapsMansfield Channel to the Rio Grande, U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-113, [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1133/.]
- Morton, R.A., Richmond, B.M., Jaffe, B.E., and Gelfenbaum, Guy, 2006, Reconnaissance investigation of Caribbean extreme wave deposits; preliminary observations, interpretations, and research directions: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1293, [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1293/].
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E.R., and Williams, S.J., 2006, Coastal vulnerability assessment of Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park to sea-level rise: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1248, [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1248/].
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E.R., and Williams, S.J., 2006, Relative coastal change-potential assessment of Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1247 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1247/].
- Rubin, D.M., and Carter, C.L., 2006, Bedforms and cross-bedding in animation: Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM) Atlas Series, no. 2, DVD.
- Sherwood, C.R., 2006, Report of the USGS Coastal and Marine Geology Modeling Workshop, Pacific Marine Science Center, Santa Cruz, CA, March 22-23, 2005: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1193, [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1193/].
- Sherwood, C.R., and Lacy, J.R., 2006, Shear velocity estimates on the inner shelf off Grays Harbor, Washington, U.S.A.: Continental Shelf Research, v. 26, no. 17-18, p. 1995-2018, doi:10.1016/j.csr.2006.07.025.
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
- Barnard, P.L., Sand waves of the Golden Gate: Ecosystem Observations for the Monterey Bay National Marine Sanctuary, 2006.
- Bothner, M.H., and Butman, B., eds., Processes influencing the transport and fate of contaminated sediments in the coastal oceanBoston Harbor and Massachusetts Bay: U.S. Geological Survey Circular.
- Butman, B., Valentine, P.C., Middleton, T.J., and Danforth, W.W., A GIS library of multibeam data for Massachusetts Bay and the Stellwagen Bank National Marine Sanctuary, offshore of Boston, Massachusetts: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 99, ver. 1.0, DVD.
- Calderon, K., Dadisman, S.V., Flocks, J.G., Kulp, M.A., Miner, M.D., and Wiese, D.S., Archive of digital boomer and chirp seismic reflection data collected during USGS Cruise 04SCC01 in Terrebonne, Timbalier, and Barataria Bays and Lake Pelto, Louisiana, June and July 2004: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series, DVD.
- Calderon, K., Dadisman, S.V., Kindinger, J.L., Flocks, J.G., and Wiese, D.S., Archive of digital boomer and chirp seismic reflection data collected during USGS cruise 03SCC03 in Lake Pelto and Timbalier and Terrebonne Bays, Louisiana, September 2003: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series, 2 DVDs.
- Childs, J.R., and Stevenson, A.J., Swath bathymetric survey of Englebright Lake, Yuba-Nevada Counties, California: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Clift, Peter, Lin, A.T.S., Carter, Andrew, Wu, Francis, Draut, A.E., Lai, T.-H., Fei, L.-Y., Schouten, Hans, and Teng, Louis, Gravitational collapse as a result of migrating arc-continent collision in the Ilan Basin, Taiwan: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Draut, A.E., Warrick, J.A., Logan, J.B., McCoy, R.E., Todd, Erin, McHenry, Michael, Reiss, T.E., Rubin, D.M., and Beechie, T.J., Monitoring sediment and channel geometry in preparation for dam removal on the Elwha River, Washington, USA: International Symposium on River Sedimentation, 10th, Moscow, Russia, August 1-4, 2007, Proceedings.
- Finlayson, D.P., Hatcher, Gerald, and Cochrane, G.R., The pros and cons of interferometric sidescan sonar for coastal habitat mapping [abs.]: Coastal GeoTools, Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 5-8, 2007.
- George, D.A., Gelfenbaum, Guy, Lesser, Giles, and Stevens, A.W., Deschutes Estuary feasibility study; hydrodynamics and sediment transport modeling, final report: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1318.
- Gibbs, A.E., and Cochran, S.A., Seafloor habitat mapping in Hawaiian National Parks [abs.]: Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., April 17-21, 2007.
- Grossman, E.E., Rosenbauer, Bob, Takesue, Renee, Wyllie-Echeverria, Sandy, Beamer, E., and Hood, G., Proximal and distal sedimentation impacts to nearshore habitats in the Skagit Delta and San Juan Islands [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography Summer Conference, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, June 4-9, 2006.
- Grossman, E.E., Walsh, J.P., and Bulthuis, D., Historical changes in nearshore sedimentation and habitat availability in the Skagit River Delta [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Research Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, March 26-29, 2007.
- Kroeger, K.D., Swarzenski, P.W., Greenwood, W.J., and Reich, Christopher, Submarine groundwater discharge to Tampa Bay; nutrient fluxes and biogeochemistry of the coastal aquifer: Marine Chemistry.
- Lacy, J.R., Wyllie-Echeverria, S.W., and Gelfenbaum, Guy, Interaction of eelgrass with nearshore tidal currents [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Research Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, March 26-29, 2007.
- Moore, L.J., List, J.H., Williams, S.J., and Stolpher, D., Modeling large-scale Holocene barrier island morphodynamics and potential future response to sea-level rise, Outer Banks, North Carolina [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Piniak, G.A., and Brown, E.K., Growth and mortality of coral transplants (Pocillopora damicornis Linnaeus 1758) along a sediment gradient in Maui, Hawai‘i: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper.
- Raabe, E.A., Gulf of Mexico and southeast tidal wetlands satellite imagery; Big Bend wetlands Landsat MSS 1973-1987: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 201-A, DVD.
- Richmond, B.M., Gibbs, A.E., and Cochran, S.A., Geologic resource evaluation Pu‘ukohola Heiau National Historic Site, part I, geology and coastal landforms: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report.
- Robbins, L.L., and VanCleave, K.A., Carbonate precipitation and organic fractionation by anaerobe Archaeoglobus fulgidus [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Santa Fe, N.Mex., February 4-9, 2007.
- Robbins, L.L., and Yates, K.K., Microbial calcification; implications for inorganic and organic carbon cycling [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Santa Fe, N.Mex., February 4-9, 2007.
- Romans, B.W., and Normark, W.R., High-resolution spatial and temporal patterns of accumulation on an active highstand submarine fan in Santa Monica Basin, offshore California; implications for controls of deep-marine sedimentation [abs.]: American Association of Petroleum Geologists Annual Convention, Long Beach, Calif., April 1-4, 2007.
- Ryan, H.F., and Noble, M.A., Sea level fluctuations in central California at subtidal to decadal and longer time scales with implications for San Francisco Bay, California: Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science.
- Shuman, C.A., Hall, D.K., Williams, R.S., Jr., Sigurdsson, O., and Jonsdottir, J.F., Detection of surface-elevation change on Drangajokull, Iceland, from cloud-cleared ICESat profiles and ground GPS survey data [abs.]: International Glaciological Society Symposium on Cryospheric Indicators of Global Climate Change, Cambridge, U.K., August 21-25, 2006.
- Sullivan, C.M., Warner, J.C., Martini, M.A., Voulgaris, G., Work, P.A., Haas, K.A., and Hanes, D.M., South Carolina coastal erosion study data report for observations October 2003-April 2004: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1429, 2 DVDs.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Burnet, W.C., Weinstein, Y., Greenwood, W.J., Herut, B., Peterson, R., Dimova, N., and Shalem, Y., Combined time-series resistivity and geochemical tracer techniques to examine submarine ground water discharge at Dor, Israel: Geophysical Research Letters.
- Takesue, R.K., and Wyllie-Echeverria, Sandy, Redox-driven bioavailability of phosphate and metals in eelgrass (Zostera marina) root zones [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Research Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, March 26-29, 2007.
- Williams, S.J., Reid, J.A., and Jenkins, C.J., Characterization of sedimentary deposits using usSEABED for large-scale mapping, modeling and research of US continental margins [abs.] : American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Wong, F.L., Venturato, A.J., and Geist, E.L., GIS data for the Seaside, Oregon, Tsunami Pilot Study to Modernize FEMA Flood Hazard Maps [abs.]: Coastal Zone ‘07, Portland, Oreg., July 22-26, 2007.
- Yates, K.K., Halley, R.B., Kuffner, I.K., and Brock, J.B., In situ measurements of calcification rates in coral reef communities of South Florida and the U.S. Virgin Islands [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Santa Fe, N.Mex., February 4-9, 2007.
Nov. / Dec. 2006
in this issue:
Satellites Help Scientists Track Migratory Birds
Effects of Urbanization on Nearshore Ecosystems in Puget Sound
Studying the Elwha River in Preparation for Dam Removal
Sea-Floor Mapping Project Expands to South Shore and Cape Cod Bay
Earth Science Week Celebration in Menlo Park, CA
Google Maps View of Western Coastal and Marine Geology Projects
Community Forum on Red Tide
Benthic Sponge Taxonomy Course at Mote Marine Laboratory
USGS Team Receives Service to America Medal
In Memoriam: Terry Bruns, 1946-2006
Release of DVD "Bedforms and Cross-Bedding in Animation"
Nov. / Dec. 2006 Publications List