|Jan. / Feb. 2007
Recently Published Articles
- Atwater, B.F., Cisternas V., Marco, Bourgeois, Joanne, Dudley, W.C., Hendley, J.W., II, and Stauffer, P.H., compilers, 1999, Revisado y reimpreso; 2006, Sobreviviendo a un tsunami: lecciones de Chile, Hawai y Japon: U.S. Geological Survey Circular 1218 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/circ/c1218/].
- Barnhardt, W.A., and Sherrod, B.L., 2006, Evolution of a Holocene delta driven by episodic sediment delivery and coseismic deformation, Puget Sound, Washington, USA: Sedimentology, v. 53, no. 6, p. 1211-1228 [URL http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1365-3091.2006.00809.x].
- Barras, J.A., 2006, Land area change in coastal Louisiana after the 2005 hurricanesa series of three maps: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1274 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1274].
- Barth, G.A., Scholl, D.W., and Childs, J.R., 2006, Possible deep-water gas hydrate accumulations in the Bering Sea: Fire in the Ice, fall issue, p. 10-11 [URL http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/oil-gas/FutureSupply/MethaneHydrates/newsletter/newsletter.htm].
- Bruns, T.R., Alpers, C.N., and Carlson, Paul, 2006, Distribution, thickness, and volume of fine-grained sediment from precipitation of metals from acid-mine waters in Keswick Reservoir, Shasta County, California: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1377 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1377/].
- Chezar, Henry, and Newman, Ivy, 2006, [Various titles; DVD-Video disc set of seafloor transects during USGS research cruises in the Pacific Ocean]: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1102 through 2004-1188 [described in overview listed below].
- Chezar, Henry, and Newman, Ivy, 2006, Overview, DVD-Video disc set of seafloor transects during USGS research cruises in the Pacific Ocean: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1101 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2004/1101/].
- Childs, J.R., and Stevenson, A.J., 2006, Swath bathymetric survey of Englebright Lake, Yuba-Nevada Counties, California: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1346 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1346/].
- Collins, B.D., and Kayen, Robert, 2006, Land-based lidar mapping; a new surveying technique to shed light on rapid topographic change: U.S. Geological Survey Fact Sheet 2006-3111 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2006/3111/].
- Grossman, E.E., Barnhardt, W.A., Hart, P., Richmond, B.M., and Field, M.E., 2006, Shelf stratigraphy and the influence of antecedent substrate on Holocene reef development, south Oahu, Hawaii: Marine Geology, v. 226, no. 1-2, p. 97-114.
- Hapke, C.J., and Green, K.R., 2006, Coastal landslide material loss rates associated with severe climatic events: Geology, v. 34, no. 12, p. 1077-1080 [URL http://www.gsajournals.org/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1130%2FG22900A.1].
- Hutchinson, D.R., Collett, T.S., Ruppel, C., and Roberts, H.H., 2006, Heterogeneity and dynamics in gas hydrate occurrence; lessons learned from the Gulf of Mexico [abs.]: Science and Technology Issues in Methane Hydrate R&D, Engineering Conferences International, Kauai, Hawaii, March 5-9, 2006, Abstracts Volume, unpaginated.
- Hutchinson, D.R., Ruppel, C., Collett, T.S., Pohlman, J., Hart, P.E., and Snyder, F., 2006, Minibasins and subsurface gas hydrate in the Gulf of Mexico [abs.]: International Sedimentological Congress, 17th, Fukuoka, Japan, August 27-September 1, 2006, abstracts, v. B, p. 6.
- Jenkins, J.A., and LaPeyre, J.F., 2006, Cell proliferation detected with flow cytometric cell cycle analysis and immunohistochemical detection of proliferating cell nuclear antigen (PCNA) from somatic tissues of eastern oysters, Crassostrea virginica: Environmental Bioindicators, v. 1, no. 3, p. 177-190.
- Kellogg, C.A., 2006, Characterization of microbial communities associated with African desert dust and their implications for human and ecosystem health: Chinese Journal of Geochemistry, v. 25 (Suppl.), p. 218-219.
- Kellogg, C.A., and Griffin, D.W., 2006, Aerobiology and the global transport of desert dust: Trends in Ecology and Evolution, v. 21, no. 11, p. 638-644.
- Kuffner, I.B., Walters, L.J., Becerro, M.A., Paul, V.J., Ritson-Williams, R., and Beach, K.S., 2006, Inhibition of coral recruitment by macroalgae and cyanobacteria: Marine Ecology Progress Series, v. 323, p. 107-117 [URL http://www.int-res.com/abstracts/meps/v323/p107-117/].
- Lichtenberg, J.S., King, S.L., Grace, J.B., and Walls, S.C., 2006, Habitat associations of chorusing anurans in the lower Mississippi River alluvial valley: Wetlands, v. 26, no. 3, p. 736-744.
- Martini, M., Butman, B., Ware, J., and Frye, D., 2006, Field tests of acoustic telemetry for a portable coastal observatory [abs.]: Oceans 2006, Boston, Mass., September 18-22, 2006.
- Middleton, B.A., 2006, Baldcypress swamp management and climate change: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1269, 3 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1269/].
- Middleton, B.A., 2006, Fire management in fens and wet grasslands grazed by cattle: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1268, 2 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1268/].
- Middleton, B.A., 2006, Impoundment and baldcypress swamp management: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1270, 4 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1270/].
- Morton, R.A., Bernier, J.C., and Barras, J.A., 2006, Evidence of regional subsidence and associated interior wetland loss induced by hydrocarbon productions, Gulf Coast region, USA: Environmental Geology, v. 50, no. 2, p. 261-274.
- Onuf, C.P., 2006, Biofouling and the continuous monitoring of underwater light from a seagrass perspective: Estuaries and Coasts, v. 29, no. 3, p. 511-518.
- Paniagua-Chávez, C.G., Jenkins, J.A., Segovia, M., and Tiersch, T.R., 2006, Assessment of gamete quality for the eastern oyster (Crassostrea virginica) by use of fluorescent dyes: Cryobiology, v. 53, no. 1, p. 128-138.
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E.R., and Williams, S.J., 2006, Coastal vulnerability assessment of Kaloko-Honokohau National Historical Park to sea-level rise: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1248 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1248/].
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E.R., and Williams, S.J., 2006, Relative coastal change-potential assessment of Glacier Bay National Park and Preserve: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1247 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1247/].
- Pendleton, E.A., Thieler, E.R., and Williams, S J., 2006, Relative coastal change-potential assessment of Kenai Fjords National Park: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2004-1373 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2004/1373/].
- Poppe, L.J., Williams, S.J., Doran, E.F., Moser, M.S., Forfinski, N.A., and Stewart, H.F., 2006, Sand wave morphology and sedimentary processes in the vicinity of Six Mile Reef, eastern Long Island Sound [abs.]: Geological Society of America Abstracts with Programs, v. 38, no. 7, p. 227 [URL http://gsa.confex.com/gsa/2006AM/finalprogram/abstract_107897.htm].
- Raabe, E.A., Gulf of Mexico and southeast tidal wetlands satellite imagery; Big Bend wetlands Landsat MSS 1973-1987: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 201-A, DVD [first disc in a series of satellite imagery].
- Ramsey, E.W., III, 2006, Satellite monitoring of inland and coastal water quality; retrospection, introspection, future directions [book review]: Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, v. 72, no. 11, p. 1211-1213.
- Ramsey, E.W., III, Lu, Zhong, Rangoonwala, Amina, and Rykhus, Russell, 2006, Multiple baseline radar interferometry applied to coastal land cover classification and change analyses: GIScience and Remote Sensing, v. 43, no. 4, p. 283-309.
- Rubin, D.M., Chezar, Henry, Harney, J.N., Topping, D.J., Melis, T.S., and Sherwood, C.R., 2006, Underwater microscope for measuring spatial and temporal changes in bed-sediment grain size: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1360 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1360/].
- Ryan, H.F., and Noble, M.A., 2006, Alongshore wind forcing of coastal sea level as a function of frequency: Journal of Physical Oceanography, v. 36, no. 11, p. 21732184 [URL http://ams.allenpress.com/perlserv/?request=get-abstract&doi=10.1175%2FJPO2972.1].
- Scotti, A., Beardsley, R.C., and Butman, B., 2006, On the interpretation of energy and energy fluxes of nonlinear internal waves; an example from Massachusetts Bay: Journal of Fluid Mechanics, v. 561, p. 103-112, doi:10.1017/S0022112006000991.
- Sullivan, C.M., Warner, J.C., Martini, M.A., Voulgaris, G., Work, P.A., Haas, K.A., and Hanes, D.M., 2006, South Carolina coastal erosion study data report for observations October 2003-April 2004: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1429, 2 DVD-ROMs [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1429/].
- ten Brink, U.S., Geist, E.L., Lynett, P., and Andrews, B.D., 2006, Submarine slides north of Puerto Rico, and their tsunami potential, in Mercado-Irizarry, A., and Liu, P., eds., Caribbean Tsunami HazardProceedings of the NSF Caribbean Tsunami Workshop: Singapore, World Scientific, p. 67-90.
- Waite, W.F., Gilbert, L.Y., Winters, W.J., and Mason, D.H., 2005, Thermal property measurements in Tetrahydrofuran (THF) hydrate and hydrate-bearing sediment between -25 and +4° C. and their application to methane hydrate: International Conference on Gas Hydrates, 5th, Trondheim, Norway, June 13-16, 2005, Proceedings, v. 5, p. 1724-1733.
- Warner, J.C., Sherwood, C.R., and Geyer, W.R., 2007, Sensitivity of estuarine turbidity maximum to settling velocity, tidal mixing, and sediment supply, in Maa, J.P.-Y., Sanford, L.P., and Schoellhamer, D.H., eds., Estuarine and coastal fine sediment dynamics: Amsterdam, Elsevier, p. 355-376.
- Williams, S.J., Poppe, L.J., Arsenault, M.A., and Buczkowski, B.J., 2006, Applications of the USGS usSEABED database for regional-scale understanding of the geologic character and aggregate resources of the Atlantic inner continental shelf, Maine to North Carolina [abs.]: Geographic Information Systems and Ocean Mapping in Support of Fisheries Research and Management Conference, Cambridge, Mass., April 11, 2006, 4 p.
- Winters, W.J., Waite, W.F., Mason, D.H., and Gilbert, L.Y., 2006, Physical properties of pressurized sediment from hydrate ridge, in Trehu, A.M., Bohrmann, Gerhard, Torres, M.E., and Colwell, F.S., eds., Drilling gas hydrates on Hydrate Ridge, Cascadia continental margin: Ocean Drilling Program Proceedings, Scientific Results, v. 204 [URL http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications/204_SR/204sr.htm].
- Wong, F.L., Venturato, A.J., and Geist, E.L., 2006, Seaside, Oregon, Tsunami Pilot Studymodernization of FEMA flood hazard maps; GIS data: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series 236 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/ds/2006/236/].
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
- Ackerman, S.D., Andrews, B.A., Barnhardt, W.A., and Butman, B., Summary of the coastal Massachusetts Sea-Floor Mapping Project; acquisition to distribution [abs.]: Coastal GeoTools ‘07, Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 5-8, 2007.
- Barnard, P.L., Hanes, D.M., Liscinski, Jamie, and Elias, Edwin, Monitoring and modeling nearshore dredge disposal for indirect beach nourishment, Ocean Beach, San Francisco: International Conference on Coastal Engineering, 30th, San Diego, Calif., September 3-8, 2006, Proceedings.
- Bruns, T.R., Characteristics of the Point Reyes Fault [structure 61], in Quaternary fault and fold database of the United States: URL http://earthquakes.usgs.gov/regional/qfaults/.
- Cochrane, G.R., and Greene, H.G., Estimating rocky seafloor on the southern California continental shelf, in Lee, H.J., and Normark, W.R., eds., Earth science in the urban ocean; the southern California Continental Borderland: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Collins, B.D., Kayen, Robert, Sitar, N., Patrick, P., and Puzio, A.M., Process-based empirical predictions of coastal cliff landslides in Quaternary marine terrace deposits, San Francisco, California, USA: International Conference on Landslides and Climate Change, Ventnor, Isle of Wight, U.K., May 21-24, 2007, Proceedings.
- Dadisman, S.V., Flocks, J., Williams, S.J., Reid, J., Calderon, K., and Paskevich, V., LASED and usSEABED data management and analysis tools to assist mapping coastal change of the Gulf coast [abs.]: Coastal GeoTools ‘07, Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 5-8, 2007.
- Dartnell, Peter, Driscoll, Neal, Kvitek, Rikk, Normark, W.R., Iampietro, Pat, and Gardner, J.V., Multibeam bathymetry and selected perspective views offshore San Diego, CA: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map.
- Dartnell, Peter, and Gardner, J.V., Seafloor terrain analysis and geomorphology of the greater Los Angeles margin and San Pedro Basin, southern California, in Lee, H.J., and Normark, W.R., eds., Earth science in the urban ocean; the southern California Continental Borderland: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Draut, A.E., and Rubin, D.M., The role of aeolian sediment in the preservation of archaeological sites in the Colorado River corridor, Grand Canyon, Arizona; final report on research activities, 2003-2006: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Edwards, B.D., Ehman, K.D., Ponti, D.J., and Reichard, E.G., Stratigraphic controls on salt water intrusion in the Dominguez Gap area of coastal Los Angeles, chap. 6.4 of Lee, H.J., and Normark, W.R., eds., Earth science in the urban ocean; the southern California Continental Borderland: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Edwards, B.D., Hanson, R.T., Reichard, E.G., and Johnson, T.A., Characteristics of southern California coastal aquifer systems, chap. 6.1 of Lee, H.J., and Normark, W.R., eds., Earth science in the urban ocean; the southern California Continental Borderland: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Erikson, L.H., Hanes, D.M., Barnard, P.M., and Gibbs, A.E., Swash zone characteristics at Ocean Beach, San Francisco, CA: International Conference on Coastal Engineering, 30th, San Diego, Calif., September 3-8, 2006, Proceedings.
- Fisher, M.A., Ruppert, N.A., White, R.A., Sliter, R.W., and Wong, F.L., Augustine Volcano, Alaska; regional seismicity and tectonics associated with its latest (2006) explosive-eruption phase [abs.]: Seismological Society of America Annual Meeting, Kona, Hawaii, April 11-13, 2007.
- Gutmacher, C.E., Ross, S.L., Triezenberg, Peter, Sliter, R.W., Normark, W.R., and Edwards, B.D., High-resolution boomer seismic-reflection profiles of the shelf off southern California; Santa Monica Bay to San Diego: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Hall, D.K., Williams, R.S., Jr., and DiGirolamo, N.E., MODIS derived surface temperatures of the Greenland ice sheet 2000-2006 [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Hanes, D.M., and Barnard, P.L., Morphological evolution in the San Francisco Bight: Journal of Coastal Research [special issue of papers from International Coastal Symposium, Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia, April 16-20, 2007].
- Hanes, D.M., Elias, Edwin, and Barnard, Patrick, The morphology and dynamics of giant marine sand waves near San Francisco and their relationship to tidal forcing [abs.]: River, Coastal, and Estuarine Morphodynamics Symposium, 5th, Enschede, The Netherlands, September 17-21, 2007.
- Hanes, D.M., Wright, S.A., and Topping, D.J., Acoustic measurements of the concentration of suspended sediment size classes, with application to the Colorado River, USA [abs.]: Underwater Acoustic Measurements Conference, 2nd, Heraklion, Crete, June 25-29, 2007.
- Lemke, K.H., Rosenbauer, R.J., and Bird, D.K., Synthesis and stability of peptides in hydrothermal fluids: Nature.
- Lemke, K.H., Rosenbauer, R.J., Bischoff, J.L., and Bird, D.K., A hydrothermal experimental study of the cobalt-cobalt oxide redox buffer: American Mineralogist.
- Moore, L.J., List, J.H., Williams, S.J., and Stolper, D., Modeled barrier island response to sea-level rise scenarios: Science.
- Normark, W.R., McGann, Mary, and Sliter, R.W., Radiocarbon dating of piston cores from the inner basins of the California Continental Borderland; evaluation of strain rates, landslide emplacement, and sedimentation rates, in Lee, H.J., and Normark, W.R., eds., Earth science in the urban ocean; the southern California Continental Borderland: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Normark, W.R., Piper, D.J.W., Romans, B.W., Covault, J.A., Dartnell, Peter, and Sliter, R.W., Submarine canyon and fan systems of the California Continental Borderland, in Lee, H.J., and Normark, W.R., eds., Earth science in the urban ocean; the southern California Continental Borderland: Geological Society of America Special Paper.
- Phillips, Eleyne, Storlazzi, Curt, Dartnell, Peter, and Edwards, Brian, Exploring rippled scour depressions offshore Huntington Beach, CA: Coastal Sediments Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- Rosenbauer, R.J., Grossman, Eric, and Takesue, Renee, A multi-index approach to understanding the paleo-occurrence of eelgrass (Zostera marina) in the nearshore of Puget Sound, WA [abs.]: Georgia Basin Puget Sound Research Conference, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, March 26-29, 2007.
- Rosenbauer, R.J., and Koksalan, Tamer, Experimental determination of the solubility of CO2 in electrolytes; application to CO2 sequestration in deep-saline aquifers: Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta.
- Rosenbauer, R.J., Orem, W.H., Swarzenski, P.W., Kendall, Carol, and Hostettler, F.D., Carbon, nitrogen, and sulfur isotopes and elemental composition of sediment cores from the Mississippi River delta as indicators of hypoxia and sources of organic matter in the Gulf of Mexico: Marine Chemistry.
- Rosenberger, K.J., Xu, Jingping, Stein, Eric, and Noble, M.N., Circulation and physical processes within the San Gabriel River estuary during summer 2005: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Ruggiero, Peter, List, Jeff, Hanes, D.M., and Eshleman, Jodi, Probabilistic shoreline change modeling: International Conference on Coastal Engineering, 30th, San Diego, Calif., September 3-8, 2006, Proceedings.
- Scholl, D.W., Barth, G.A., and Childs, J.R., Evidence that acoustic VAMP structures in the deep water Bering Sea basin represent large accumulations of methane hydrate with matching resource implications [abs.]: Geophysical Society of Alaska meeting, Anchorage, January 11, 2007.
- Schroeder, D.M., and Cochrane, G.R., Application of benthic habitat maps in marine management; a pilot study in the Channel Islands National Marine Sanctuary: GeoHABMarine Geological and Biological Habitat Mapping meeting, Galway, Ireland, May 5-7, 2004, Proceedings.
- Stockdon, H.F., Lillycrop, W.J., Howd, P.A., and Wozencraft, J.M., Need for sustained and integrated high resolution coastal mapping: Marine Technology Society Journal.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Baskaran, M., Greening, H., Eckenrod, R., and Henderson, C., Tampa Bay as a model estuary for examining the impact of human activities on biogeochemical processes; an introduction: Marine Chemistry.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Kruse, S., Greenwood, J., and Reich, R., Multi-channel resistivity investigations of the fresh water/salt water interface; a new tool to study an old problem [abs.]: International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics (IUGG) General Assembly, 24th, Perugia, Italy, July 2-13, 2007.
- Thompson, D., Stockdon, H., Investigation of the relationship between hurricane waves and extreme runup [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., December 11-15, 2006.
- Thurston, K.J., Sherwood, C.R., and Butman, B., Sediment-transport dynamics in the Hudson Shelf Valley [abs.]: American Society of Limnology and Oceanography (ASLO) Aquatic Sciences Meeting, Sante Fe, N.Mex., February 4-9, 2007.
- Twichell, D.C., Andrews, B., Bergeron, E., Danforth, W.W., Denny, J.F., Edmiston, L., Irwin, B.J., O’Brien, T.F., Stevenson, W., and Worley, C.R., Benthic mapping in Apalachicola Bay, Florida; summary of acoustic mapping techniques and findings [abs.]: Coastal GeoTools ‘07, Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 5-8, 2007.
- Twichell, D.C., Nelson, C.H., Kenyon, N.H., and Schwab, W.C., The influence of external processes on the latest Pleistocene and Holocene, in External controls on deep water depositional systems: Society for Sedimentary Geology (SEPM) Special Publication.
- van der Meer, Fenneke, Hulscher, Suzanne, Hanes, Dan, and Elias, Edwin, San Francisco Bay sand waves; modelling and reality [abs.]: River, Coastal, and Estuarine Morphodynamics Symposium, 5th, Enschede, The Netherlands, September 17-21, 2007.
- Warner, J.C., Butman, B., and Alexander, P.S., Storm-driven sediment transport in Massachusetts Bay: Continental Shelf Research.
- Williams, S.J., Kulp, M., Penland, P.S., Kindinger, J.L., and Flocks, J.G., Mississippi River Delta Plain, Louisiana coast and inner shelf; Holocene geologic framework and processes, in Holmes, C.W., and Buster, N.A., eds., Geology, v. 1 of The Gulf of Mexicoorigins, waters, and biota: College Station, Texas A&M University Press.
Jan. / Feb. 2007
in this issue:
Effects of CO2 Levels on Marine Life and Global Climate
Underwater Photographic Tripod for Coral-Reef Studies
"Disasterville" Exhibit at Florida Museum
New Web site: Topics in Coastal and Marine Sciences
Exploring the Deep Biosphere
New Directions in Geographic Visualization of Scientific Data
Western Region Biologists Receive 2006 DOI Honor Awards
USGS Ridge-to-Reef Team Honored for Work in Hawaiian Islands
Video Footage of Pacific Ocean Bottom Transferred to DVD
Jan. / Feb. Publications List