Recently Published Articles
- Barrow, W.C., Jr., Johnson Randall, L.A., Woodrey, M.S., Cox, J., Ruelas, E.I., Riley, C.M., Hamilton, R.B., and Everly, C., 2006, Coastal forests of the Gulf of Mexico; a description and some thoughts on their conservation, in Ralph, C.J., and Rich, T.D., eds., Bird conservation implementation and integration in the Americas; International Partners in Flight Conference, 3rd, Asilomar, Calif., March 20-24, 2002, Proceedings: U.S. Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station, General Technical Report PSW-GTR-191, v. 1, p. 450-464.
- Baskaran, M., and Swarzenski, P.W., 2007, Short-lived radionuclides (234Th, 7Be, and 210Pb) as tracers of anthropogenic activity in Tampa Bay, Florida, in Swarzenski, P.W., and Baskaran, M., eds., Biogeochemical cycles in Tampa Bay, Florida: Marine Chemistry (special issue), v. 104, no. 1-2, p. 27-42.
- Carter, J., and Biagas, J., 2007, Prioritizing bottomland hardwood forest sites for protection and augmentation: Natural Areas Journal, v. 27, no. 1, p. 72-82 [URL http://www.naturalarea.org/journaltoc.aspx?p=68].
- Cochran, S.A., Gibbs, A.E., and Logan, J.B., 2007, Geologic resource evaluation of Pu’ukohola Heiau National Historic Site, Hawai‘i; part II; benthic habitat mapping: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2006-5254 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/sir/2006/5254/].
- Cooper, Alan, Raymond, Carol, and the ISAES Editorial Team, 2007, Antarctica; a keystone in a changing worldonline proceedings for the tenth International Symposium on Antarctic Earth Sciences: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2007-1047, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2007/1047/].
- Crusius, John, Kenna, T., 2007, Ensuring confidence in radionuclide-based sediment chronologies and bioturbation rates: Estuarine Coastal and Shelf Science, v. 71, no. 3-4, p. 537-544.
- Hapke, Cheryl, and Reid, David, 2006, The National Assessment of Shoreline Change; a GIS compilation of vector shorelines and associated shoreline change data for the sandy shorelines of the California coast: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1251, version 1.1 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1251/].
- Hart, K.M., and Lee, D.S., 2006, The diamondback terrapin; the biology, ecology, cultural history, and conservation status of an obligate estuarine turtle: Studies in Avian Biology, v. 32, p. 206-213.
- Hu, Chuanmin, Muller-Karger, F.E., and Swarzenski, P.W., 2006, Hurricanes, submarine groundwater discharge, and Florida’s red tides: Geophysical Research Letters, v. 33, L11601, doi:10.1029/2005GL025449 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2006.../2005GL025449.shtml].
- Jeske, C.W., Wilson, S., Chadwick, P.C., and Barrow, W., 2006, Shorebird habitat availability assessment of agricultural fields using a digital aerial video system, in Ralph, C.J., and Rich, T.D., eds., Bird conservation implementation and integration in the Americas; International Partners in Flight Conference, 3rd, Asilomar, Calif., March 20-24, 2002, Proceedings: U.S. Forest Service, Pacific Southwest Research Station, General Technical Report PSW-GTR-191, v. 2, p. 854-859.
- Kellogg, C.A, and Griffin, D.W., 2006, Aerobiology and the global transport of desert dust: Trends in Ecology and Evolution, v. 21, no. 11, p. 638-644.
- Klerks, P.L., Felder, D.L., Strasser, K., and Swarzenski, P.W., 2007, Effects of ghost shrimp on zinc and cadmium in Tampa Bay sediment, in Swarzenski, P.W., and Baskaran, M., eds., Biogeochemical cycles in Tampa Bay, Florida: Marine Chemistry (special issue), v. 104, no. 1-2, p. 17-26.
- Kuffner, I.B., Brock, J.C., Grober-Dunsmore, R., Bonito, V.E., Hickey, T.D., and Wright, C.W., 2007, Relationships between reef fish communities and remotely sensed rugosity measurements in Biscayne National Park, Florida, U.S.A.: Environmental Biology of Fishes, v. 78, no. 1, p. 71-82.
- McMullen, K.Y., Poppe, L.J., Signell, R.S., Denny, J.F., Crocker, J.M., Beaver, A.L., and Schattgen, P.T., 2007, Surficial geology in central Narragansett Bay, Rhode Island; interpretations of sidescan sonar and multibeam bathymetry: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2006-1199, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1199/].
- Middleton, B.A., Holsten, B., and van Diggelen, R., 2006, Biodiversity management of fens and fen meadows by grazing, cutting and burning: Applied Vegetation Science, v. 9, no. 2, p. 307-316.
- Middleton, B.A., van Diggelen, R., and Jensen, K., 2006, Seed dispersal in fens: Applied Vegetation Science, v. 9, no. 2, p. 279-284.
- Paull, C.K., Ussler, W.I., Keaten, R., Holbrook, W.S., Hill, T., Mieneri, J., Halflidison, H., Johnson, J., Winter, W.J., Lorenson, T.D., and Aiello, I., Assessing methane release from the colossal Storegga submarine landslide: Eos (American Geophysical Union Transactions), v. 87, no. 52, Fall Meeting supp., abstract OS43C-0682 [go to URL http://www.agu.org/meetings/fm06/waisfm06.html and search on “paull”].
- Reimnitz, Erk, and Wolf, S.C., 2000, Are North Slope surface alluvial fans pre-Holocene relicts?: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1605 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/pp/pp1605/].
- Richmond, B.M., Jaffe, B.E., Gelfenbaum, Guy, and Morton, R.A., 2007, Geologic impacts of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami on Indonesia, Sri Lanka, and the Maldives, in Scheffers, Anja, and Kelletat, Dieter, eds., Tsunamis, hurricanes and neotectonics as driving mechanisms in coastal evolutionproceedings of the Bonaire Field Symposium, March 2-6, 2006; a contribution IGCP [International Geoscience Programme] 495: Zeitschrift für Geomorphologie (Annals of Geomorphology), Supplementbände, v. 146, p. 235-251.
- Shedd, W.W., and Hutchinson, D.R., 2006, Gas hydrate potential of the mid-Atlantic Outer Continental Shelf: Fire in the Ice, Fall 2006, p. 8-9 [URL http://www.netl.doe.gov/technologies/oil-gas/FutureSupply/MethaneHydrates/newsletter/newsletter.htm].
- Stockdon, H.F., Holman, R.A., Howd, P.A., and Sallenger, A.H., 2006, Empirical parameterization of setup, swash and runup: Coastal Engineering, v. 53, no. 7, p. 573-588.
- Swarzenski, P.W., 2007, U/Th-series radionuclides as coastal groundwater tracers: Chemical Reviews, v. 107, no. 2, p. 663-674, doi:10.1021/cr0503761.
- Swarzenski, P.W., 2007, Uranium distributions in the coastal waters and pore waters of Tampa Bay, Florida, in Swarzenski, P.W., and Baskaran, M., eds., Biogeochemical cycles in Tampa Bay, Florida: Marine Chemistry (special issue), v. 104, no. 1-2, p. 43-57.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Baskaran, M., Rosenbauer, R., and Orem, W.G., 2006, Historical trace element distribution in sediments of the Mississippi River Delta: Estuaries and Coasts, v. 29, no. 6B, p. 1094-1107 [URL http://estuariesandcoasts.org/cgi-bin/est/printabstract.cgi?ESTU2006_29_6B_1094_1107].
- Swarzenski, P.W., Baskaran, M., Yates, K., and Henderson, C., 2007, Tampa Bay as a model estuary for examining the impact of human activities on biogeochemical processes; an introduction, in Swarzenski, P.W., and Baskaran, M., eds., Biogeochemical cycles in Tampa Bay, Florida: Marine Chemistry (special issue), v. 104, no. 1-2, p. 1-3.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Burnet, W.C., Greenwood, W.J., Herut, B., Peterson, R., Dimova, N., Shalem, Y., Yechieli, Y., and Weinstein, Y., Combined time-series resistivity and geochemical tracer techniques to examine submarine groundwater discharge at Dor Beach, Israel: Geophysical Research Letters, v. 33, L24405, doi:10.1029/2006GL02828 [URL http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2006/2006GL028282.shtml].
- Swarzenski, P.W., Orem, W., McPherson, B., Baskaran, M., and Wan, Y., 2006, Biogeochemical transport in the Loxahatchee River estuary, Florida; the role of submarine groundwater discharge: Marine Chemistry, v. 101, no. 3-4 p. 248-265.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Reich, C.D., Kroeger, K.D., and Baskaran, Mark, 2007, Ra and Rn isotopes as natural tracers of submarine groundwater discharge in Tampa Bay, FL, in Swarzenski, P.W., and Baskaran, M., eds., Biogeochemical cycles in Tampa Bay, Florida: Marine Chemistry (special issue), v. 104, no. 1-2, p. 69-84.
- Twichell, D.C., Cross, V.A., Paskevich, V.F., Hutchinson, D.R., Winters, W.J., and Hart, P.E., 2007, GIS of selected geophysical and core data in the northern Gulf of Mexico continental slope collected by the U.S. Geological Survey: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2005-1071, DVD-ROM [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2005/1071/].
- van Diggelen, R., Middleton, B.A., Bakker, J., Grootjans, A., and Wassen, M., 2006, Fens and floodplains of the temperate zone; present status, threats, conservation and restoration: Applied Vegetation Science, v. 9, no. 2, p. 157-162.
- Waldrop, W.R, and Swarzenski, P.W., 2006, A new tool for quantifying flux rates between ground water and surface water, in Singh, V.P., and Xu, Y.J., eds., Coastal hydrology and processes; proceedings of the AIH 25th Anniversary Meeting and International Conference “Challenges in Coastal Hydrology and Water Quality”: Highlands Ranch, Colo., Water Resources Publications, p. 305-311.
- Williams, S.J., Arsenault, M.A., Poppe, L.J., Reid, J.A., Reid, J.M, and Jenkins, C.J., 2007, Surficial sediment character of the New York-New Jersey offshore Continental Shelf region; a GIS compilation: U.S. Geological Survey Open File Report 2006-1046 [URL: http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2006/1046/].
Publications Submitted for Director's Approval
- Barnhardt, W.A., Andrews, B., Ackerman, S.D., Baldwin, W.D., and Hein, C., Geologic framework of the Massachusetts inner continental shelf; preliminary results of seafloor mapping [abs.]: Geological Society of America, Northeastern Section Annual Meeting, 42nd, Durham, N.H., March, 12-14, 2007.
- Barth, G.A., Scholl, D.W., and Childs, J.R., Evidence for focused accumulations of methane hydrate with possible resource implications for the deep water Bering Sea basins [abs.]: American Geophysical Union 2007 Joint Assembly, Acapulco, Mexico, May 22-25, 2007.
- Bratton, J.F., The importance of shallow confining units to submarine groundwater flow, in Sanford, W., Langevin, C., Polemio, M., and Povinec, P., eds., A new focus on groundwater-seawater interactions: Wallingford, Oxfordshire, U.K., International Association of Hydrological Sciences (IAHS) Press.
- Cochrane, G.R., Dartnell, Pete, Harney, Jodi, and Etherington, Lisa, Video supervised numerical classification of acoustic data from Glacier Bay, Alaska [abs.]: Marine Habitat Mapping Technology Workshop for Alaska, Anchorage, April 2-4, 2007.
- Cochrane, G.R., Finlayson, David, and Golden, Nadine, Marine geo-habitat of southern California from video-supervised classification of sonar data [abs.]: International Conference on Underwater Acoustic Measurements, 2nd, Heraklion, Crete, June 25-29, 2007.
- Covault, J.A., Normark, W.R., Romans, B.W., and Graham, S.A., Highstand fans; the deep-water depositional systems overlooked: Geology.
- Denny, J.F., Schwab, W.C., Twichell, D.C., O’Brien, T.F., Danforth, W.W., Foster, D.S., Bergeron, E., Worley, C.R., Irwin, B.J., Butman, B., Valentine, P.C., Baldwin, W.E., Morton, R.A., Thieler, E.R., Nichols, D.R., and Andrews, B.D., USGS advances in integrated, high-resolution sea-floor mapping; inner continental shelf to estuaries: Coastal Sediments ‘07 Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- Field, M.E., Calhoun, R.S., Storlazzi, C.D., Logan, J.B., and Cochran, S.A., Sediment on the Moloka‘i reef, chap. 17 of Field, M.E., Cochran, S.A., Storlazzi, C.D., and Logan, J.B., Atlas of a fringing coral reef, Moloka‘i, Hawai‘inatural processes and new threats to the longest fringing reef in the Hawaiian chain: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report.
- Field, M.E., Storlazzi, C.D., Ogston, A.S., and Draut, A.E., Watershed changes on tropical high islands; bad news for adjacent coral reef ecosystems [abs.]: International Association of Sedimentologists (IAS) Meeting of Sedimentology, Patras, Greece, September 4-7, 2007.
- Gelfenbaum, Guy, Vatvani, Deepak, Jaffe, Bruce, and Dekker, Frank, Tsunami inundation and sediment transport in vicinity of coastal mangrove forest: Coastal Sediments ‘07 Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- Grossman, Eric, Chavez, Pat, Logan, Josh, Street, Joseph, and Paytan, Adina, Ground water and its influence on reef evolution, chap. 13 of Field, M.E., Cochran, S.A., Storlazzi, C.D., and Logan, J.B., Atlas of a fringing coral reef, Moloka‘i, Hawai‘inatural processes and new threats to the longest fringing reef in the Hawaiian chain: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report.
- Harrison, A.S., Dadisman, S.V., Flocks, J.G., Wiese, D.S., and Robbins, L.L., Archive of digital chirp seismic reflection data collected during USGS cruise 06FSH01 offshore of Siesta Key, Florida, May 2006: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series.
- Higman, Bretwood, Gelfenbaum, Guy, Lynett, Patrick, Moore, Andrew, and Jaffe, Bruce, Predicted sedimentary record of reflected bores: Coastal Sediments ‘07 Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- Hornback, M., Rupple, C., and Van Dover, C., Three-dimensional structure of fluid conduits sustaining an active deep marine cold seep: Geophysical Research Letters.
- Lee, J.Y., Carlos, S., and Ruppel, C., Mechanical and electromagnetic properties of northern Gulf of Mexico sediments with and without hydrates: Marine and Petroleum Geology.
- Limber, P.W., List, J.H., Warren, J.D., Farris, A.S., and Weber, K.R., Using topographic lidar data to delineate the North Carolina shoreline: Coastal Sediments ‘07 Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- List, J.H., and Ashton, A.D., A circulation model approach for evaluating the conditions for shoreline instabilities: Coastal Sediments ‘07 Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- Milliman, J.D., Smith, L.O., Farnsworth, K.L., Jones, P.D., and Xu, K.H., Climatic and anthropogenic factors affecting river discharge to the global ocean, 1951-2000: Science.
- Moore, L.J., List, J.H., Williams, S.J., and Stolper, D., Modeling barrier island response to sea-level rise in the Outer Banks of North Carolina: Coastal Sediments ‘07 Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- Parsons, Tom, Monte Carlo methods for determining earthquake recurrence parameters from sparse paleoseismic catalogs; example calculations for California: Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Poore, B., Scientific information, technology, and emergent behavior during hurricane seasons of 2004 and 2005 [abs.]: Association of American Geographers Annual Meeting, San Francisco, Calif., April 17-21, 2007.
- Poppe, L.J., Ackerman, S.D., Moser, M.S., Stewart, H.F., Foster, D.S., Blackwood, D.S., and Butman, B., Sedimentary environments and processes in the vicinity of Quicks Hole, Elizabeth Islands, Massachusetts [abs.]: American Geophysical Union Joint Assembly, Acapulco, Mexico, May 22-25, 2007.
- Reid, J.A., Williams, S.J., Zimmermann, Mark, Jenkins, Chris, and Golden, N.E., Integration of seafloor point data in usSEABED [abs.]: Coastal Zone ‘07, Portland, Oreg., July 22-26, 2007.
- Ruggiero, Peter, Eshleman, J.L., Kingsley, Etienne, Thompson, D.M., Voigt, Brian, Kaminsky, G.M., and Gelfenbaum, Guy, Beach morphology monitoring in the Columbia River littoral cell; 1997-2005: U.S. Geological Survey Data Series.
- Shi, Fengyan, Kirby, J.T., and Hanes, D.M., An efficient mode-splitting method for a curvilinear nearshore circulation model: Coastal Engineering.
- Smith, J.E., Spalding, Heather, Okano, Ryan, and Smith, C.M., The seaweed and seagrass communities of Moloka‘i, chap. 8 of Field, M.E., Cochran, S.A., Storlazzi, C.D., and Logan, J.B., Atlas of a fringing coral reef, Moloka‘i, Hawai‘inatural processes and new threats to the longest fringing reef in the Hawaiian chain: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report.
- ten Brink, U.S., Rybakov, M., Al-Zoubi, A., and Rotstein, Y., The magnetic character of a large continental transform; an aeromagnetic survey of the Dead Sea fault: Geochemistry, Geophysics, Geosystems (G3).
- Twichell, D.C., Chaytor, J., Lee, H., Locat, J., ten Brink, U.S., and Buczkowski, B.J., Revisiting submarine mass movement along the U.S. Atlantic Continental Margin [abs.]: Submarine Mass Movements and their Consequences, International Symposium, 3rd, Santorini, Greece, October 1-3, 2007.
- Williams, R.S., Jr., Book review; remote sensing of mountain glaciers and permafrost creep: Journal of Glaciology.
- Williams, S.J., Bliss, J.D., Arsenault, M.A., Jenkins, C., and Goff, J.A., Geologic characterization of shelf areas using usSEABED for GIS mapping, modeling large-scale processes and assessing marine sand and gravel resources: Coastal Sediments ‘07 Conference, New Orleans, La., May 13-17, 2007, Proceedings.
- Wong, F.L., Venturato, A.J., and Geist, E.L., GIS data for the Seaside, Oregon, Tsunami Pilot Study to modernize FEMA flood hazard maps [abs.]: Coastal Zone ‘07, Portland, Oreg., July 22-26, 2007.
in this issue:
Deadly Tsunami Hits Solomon Islands
Tsunami-Forecasting System Tested by Recent Earthquakes
Sub-Sea-Floor Methane in the Bering Sea
USGS Donates Equipment to Local Nonprofit Theater
Getting to Know ET (Evapotranspiration)
International Workshop on High-Seas Biogeography
USGS Researcher Receives Award from the American Society of Civil Engineers
USGS Sirenia Project Receives Manatee Hero Award
April Publications List