Recently Published Articles
- Brock, J.C., Wright, C.W., Nayegandhi, A. Stevens, S., and Travers, L.J., 2008, EAARL topographyColonial National Historical Park: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1326, DVD [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1326/].
- Chin, J.L., Carlson, P.R., Wong, F.L., and Cacchione, D.A., 1998, Multibeam data and socio-economic issues in west-central San Francisco Bay: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 98-139 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/1998/of98-139/].
- Goff, J.A., Jenkins, C.J., and Williams, S.J., 2008, Seabed mapping and characterization of sediment variability using the usSEABED data base: Continental Shelf Research, v. 28, no. 4-5, p. 614-633, doi:10.1016/j.csr.2007.11.011 [URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.csr.2007.11.011].
- Hutchinson, D.R., Shelander, D., Dai, J., McConnell, D., Shedd, W., Frye, M., Ruppel, C., Boswell, R., Jones, E., Collett, T., Rose, K., Dugan, B., Wood, W., and Latham, T., 2008, Site selection for DOE/JIP gas hydrate drilling in the northern Gulf Of Mexico: Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Gas Hydrates (ICGH 2008), Vancouver, B.C., Canada, July 6-10, 2008, paper 5506, 12 p. [URL http://hdl.handle.net/2429/1165].
- McMullen, K.Y., Poppe, L.J., Schattgen, P.T., and Doran, E.F., 2008, Enhanced sidescan-sonar imagery, north-central Long Island Sound: U.S. Geological Survey Open File Report 2008-1174 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/pubs/of/2008/1174/].
- Morton, R.A., Richmond, B.M., Jaffe, B.E., and Gelfenbaum, G., 2008, Coarse-clast ridge complexes of the Caribbean; a preliminary basis for distinguishing tsunami and storm-wave origins: Journal of Sedimentary Research, v. 78, no. 9, p. 624-637, doi:10.2110/jsr.2008.068 [URL http://dx.doi.org/10.2110/jsr.2008.068].
- Paull, C.K., Ussler, W., III, Holbrook, W.S., Hill, T.M., Keaten, R., Mienert, J., Haflidason, H., Johnson, J.E., Winters, W.J., and Lorenson, T.D., 2008, Origin of pockmarks and chimney structures on the flanks of the Storegga Slide, offshore Norway: Geo-Marine Letters, v. 28, no. 1, p. 43-51, doi:10.1007/s00367-007-0088-9 [URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00367-007-0088-9].
- Poore, R.Z., 2008, Holocene climate and climate variability of the northern Gulf of Mexico and adjacent northern Gulf Coast; a review: Open Paleontologic Journal, v. 1, p. 7-17, doi:10.2174/1874425700801010007 [URL http://dx.doi.org/10.2174/1874425700801010007].
- Ross, S.L., Lee, H.J., Parsons, T.E., Beyer, L.A., Boore, D.M., Conrad, J.E., Edwards, B.D., Fisher, M.A., Frankel, A.D., Geist, E.L., Hudnut, K.W., Hough, S.E., Kayen, R.E., Lorenson, T.D., Luco, Nicolas, McCrory, P.A., McGann, M.L., Nathenson, Manuel, Nolan, Michael, Petersen, M.D., Ponti, D.J., Powell, C.L., Ryan, H.F., Tinsley, J.C., Wills, C.J., Wong, F.L., and Xu, J.P., 2008, Comments on potential geologic seismic hazards affecting proposed liquefied natural gas site in Santa Monica Bay, California: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1344 [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1344/].
- Stevens, A.W., Gelfenbaum, Guy, Elias, Edwin, and Jones, Craig, 2008, Incorporation of fine-grained sediment erodibility measurements into sediment transport modeling, Capitol Lake, Washington: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1340, 72 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1340/].
- Storlazzi, C.D., Presto, M.K., Logan, J.B., and Field, M.E., 2008, Coastal circulation and sediment dynamics in Hanalei Bay, Kaua‘i, part IV, measurements of waves, currents, temperature, salinity, and turbidity, June-September 2006: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2008-1295, 29 p. [URL http://pubs.usgs.gov/of/2008/1295/].
- Williams, S.J., Gutierrez, B.T., and Thieler, E.R., 2008, Geologic effects and coastal vulnerability to sea-level rise, erosion, and storms, in Wallendorf, L., Ewing, L., Jones, C., and Jaffe, B.E., eds., 2008, Solutions to Coastal Disasters 2008 (proceedings of the conference, Turtle Bay, Oahu, Hawaii, April 13-16, 2008): Reston, Va., American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) Publications, p. 1-14 [URL https://www.asce.org/bookstore/book.cfm?book=8403]
- Winters, W.J., Dugan, B.E., and Collett, T.S., 2008, Physical properties of sediment from Keathley Canyon and Atwater Valley, JIP Gulf of Mexico gas hydrate drilling program: Marine and Petroleum Geology, v. 25, no. 9, p. 896-905, doi:10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2008.01.018 [URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2008.01.018].
Publications Submitted for Bureau Approval
Barnard, P.L., An operational model for predicting storm impacts along the southern California coast [abs.]: George Wright Society Biennial Conference on Parks, Protected Areas, and Cultural Sites, Portland, Oreg., March 2-6, 2009.
- Barnard, P.L., Erikson, L.H., Hansen, J.E., Hanes, D.M., and Elias, Edwin, The performance of nearshore dredge disposal at Ocean Beach, San Francisco, California; 2005-2007: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report.
- Bever, A.J., Courtney, K.H., Sherwood, C.R., and Signell, R., Deposition and flux of sediment from the Po River, Italy: Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Breems, Joel, Wyllie-Echeverria, Sandy, Grossman, Eric, and Elliott, Joel, Thatcher Bay nearshore restoration assessment: Report to Skagit Fisheries Enhancement Group.
- Dowty, Pete, Lacy, Jessie, and Schanz, Anja, Causes of reduced underwater light availability and their role in limiting eelgrass distribution in Westcott Bay, San Juan Island, WA [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference, Seattle, Wash., February 8-11, 2009.
- Enkin, R., Esteban, L., Haacke, R., Hamilton, T.S., Hogg, M., Lapham, L., Middleton, G., Neelands, P., Pohlman, J., Riedel, M., Rose, K., Schlesinger, A., Standen, G., Stephenson, A., Taylor, S., Waite, W., and Wang, X., Investigating gas hydrate as a factor in accretionary margin frontal ridge slope failures and cold seep biogeochemistry: Fire in the Ice, the National Energy Technology Laboratory Methane Hydrate Newsletter (U.S. Department of Energy).
- Ferré, B., and Sherwood, C.R., Sediment transport on the Palos Verdes shelf, California: Continental Shelf Research.
- Galkiewicz, J.P., and Kellogg, C.A., Diversity of culturable bacteria associated with the cold-water coral Lophelia pertusa [abs.]: American Society for Microbiology, Southeastern Branch and Florida Branch Joint Annual Meeting, Jacksonville, Fla., November 6-8, 2008.
- Gelfenbaum, Guy, and Kaminsky, George, Large-scale coastal change in the Columbia River littoral cell; an overview: Marine Geology.
- Gelfenbaum, Guy, Stevens, Andrew, Warrick, Jonathan, and Elias, Edwin, A hydrodynamic and sediment transport model to predict nearshore sediment dispersal after Elwha River dam removal [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference, Seattle, Wash., February 8-11, 2009.
- Grossman, E., Labiosa, B., Stevens, A., Curran, C., Rubin, S., Swarzenski, P., Rosenbauer, R., George, D., Lam, A., Gibson, J., Hood, G., and Beamer, E., Sediment transport processes and benthic habitat responses associated with large-scale river-delta channelization; developing models to predict nearshore habitat recovery with dike removal [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference, Seattle, Wash., February 8-11, 2009.
- Grossman, E., Oki, D., Foote, D., Tribble, G., Knee, K., Beavers, S., Cutillo, P., Marrack, L., and Paytan, A., Integrated studies of submarine groundwater discharge to Koloko-Honokaohau National Historical Park to support land use decisions and coastal resource management along the arid and rapidly urbanizing West Hawai‘i coast [abs.]: George Wright Society Biennial Conference on Parks, Protected Areas, and Cultural Sites, Portland, Oreg., March 2-6, 2009.
- Helgerud, M.B., Waite, W.F., Kirby, S.H., and Nur, A., Measured temperature and pressure dependence of elastic wave speeds and moduli in polycrystalline ice Ih, sI methane hydrate and sII methane-ethane hydrate: Journal of Geophysical Research.
- Horton, B.P., Peltier, W.R., Culver, S.J., Drummond, R., Engelhart, S.E., Kemp, A.C., Mallinson, D., Thieler, E.R., Riggs, S.R., and Ames, D.V., Holocene sea-level changes along the North Carolina coastline and their implications for glacial isostatic adjustment models: Quaternary Science Research.
- Parsons, Jeff, Finlayson, D.P., and Carrasquero, Jose, Hydrogeomorphic associations with Pacific Northwest eelgrass beds [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference, Seattle, Wash., February 8-11, 2009.
- Pohlman, J.W., Riedel, M., Waite, W., Rose, K., and Lapham, L., Application of Rhizon samplers to obtain high-resolution pore fluid records during geochemical investigations of gas hydrate systems: Fire in the Ice, the National Energy Technology Laboratory Methane Hydrate Newsletter (U.S. Department of Energy).
- Pratson, L., Hughes-Clark, J., Anderson, M., Gerber, T., Twichell, D., Ferrari, R., Nittrouer, C., Beaudoin, J., Granet, J., and Crockett, J., Effects of subaqueous gravity flows on timing and patterns of basin infilling as documented in Lake Powell during a drought: Geology.
- Rosenbauer, Robert, Campbell, Pamela, and Grossman, Eric, Lignin phenols, lipid biomarkers, and carbon isotopes as indicators of the paleo-occurrence of eelgrass (Zostera marina) in Westcott and Padilla Bays, WA [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference, Seattle, Wash., February 8-11, 2009.
- Ryan, H.F., Lee, H.J., Haeussler, P.J., Alexander, Clark, and Kayen, Rob, Historic and paleo-submarine landslide deposits imaged beneath Port Valdez, Alaska; implications for tsunami generation in a glacial fiord [abs.]: International Symposium on Submarine Mass Movements and Their Consequences, 4th, Austin, Tex., November 8-11, 2009.
- Stevens, A.W., Lacy, J.R., Finlayson, D.P., and Gelfenbaum, Guy, Evaluation of a single-beam echosounder to map seagrass at two sites in northern Puget Sound, Washington [abs.]: Puget Sound Georgia Basin Ecosystem Conference, Seattle, Wash., February 8-11, 2009.
- Sullivan, C.M., Plant, N.G., and Ascough, A.M., NetCDF for topographic lidar data storage and dissemination [abs.]: Coastal GeoTools, Myrtle Beach, S.C., March 2-5, 2009.
- Swarzenski, P.W., Reich, Chris, and Dellapenna, Tim, Examining submarine groundwater discharge into Simpson Bay, Alaska, using 222Rn and electrical resistivity [abs.]: Environmental and Engineering Geophysical Society Annual Meeting, 22nd, Fort Worth, Tex., March 29-April 2, 2009.
- Walters, L.J., Turner, T., Kuffner, I.B., Paul, V.J., Ritson-Williams, R., Grablow, K., Settar, C., Rivera, G., and Hickey, T.D., Coral-algal-urchin interactions in Caribbean waters [abs.]: Society for Integrative and Comparative Biology Annual Meeting, Boston, Mass., January 3-7, 2009.
- Wehmiller, J.F., Thieler, E.R., Miller, D., Pellerito, V., Bakeman Keeney, V., Riggs, S.R., Culver, S., Mallinson, D., Farrell, K.M., York, L.L., Pierson, J., Parham, P.R., and Hoffman, C.W., Aminostratigraphy of surface and subsurface Quaternary units, North Carolina coastal plain, USA: Quaternary Geochronology.
in this issue:
Tracking Sea Turtles
Alaskan Glaciers Retreating
Migratory Birds Carry Avian Influenzs
Earth Science Day in Menlo Park, CA
Shinn Wins SEPM Twenhofel Medal
USGS Collaborator Wins SEPM Shepard Medal
New Chief Scientist for Western Coastal and Marine Geology Team
December 2008 Publications List